Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: My new toy...

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Aug 2010

hunting would suggest an air leak, unless the idle's been set on the power rather than the anti stall screw.
Doubt it's the leak off pipes since this is an early unit without the splitter box on the head.
Most likely the priming head is wankered. Common enough, as it goes I've just converted Richie to the later style stat housing hence have done away with the priming head filter unit. Yours if you want it.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 19 Aug 2010

docchevron132 wrote:Yours if you want it.
Will give it a whizz!

Gonna check a few other bits today and see if i get any joy. It's a shame really as it drives lovely and looks bloody good now!

Onward!
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 19 Aug 2010

You'll get it sorted mate. Make sure all the union/banjo joint bolts are nice and tight - there should be copper washers either side of the banjos.

I forgot what it's doing now? If it's coughing on cold start, it could be the timing advance connection needs cleaning up. I know you've done the glow plugs. And is the Waxstat operating properly, as that also pulls in the timing advance doobery.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 19 Aug 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:And is the Waxstat operating properly, as that also pulls in the timing advance doobery
No, it isn't, they don't work out of the factory so there is slim chance of them working out of the original packaging let alone actually on the car. In fact in this climate they won't do much anyways.

Though i have a new one, in the packet, bought for the 19td engine if anyone wants to cross my palm with gold for it.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 19 Aug 2010

How much Vanny?
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Vanny wrote:
Bx Bandit wrote:And is the Waxstat operating properly, as that also pulls in the timing advance doobery
No, it isn't, they don't work out of the factory so there is slim chance of them working out of the original packaging let alone actually on the car. In fact in this climate they won't do much anyways.

Though i have a new one, in the packet, bought for the 19td engine if anyone wants to cross my palm with gold for it.
Never had a problem with them. Sure, they fail from time to time, but in the 13 years I've had a TD I've bought 2, one on the TGD and one on the TZD. Climate has nothing to do with operation of a waxstat. It's plumbed into the thermostat housing. In winter you certainly need it for the cold timing advance. On the CAV pumps it also pulls the revs.

You may be thinking of the Bosch one? That has (well, earlier ones did) two. One, for the revs and one for the timing advance. The timing advance ones are, I believe the shite ones.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

No i'm thinking of the wax stat that does feck all. And it is climate related. I guarantee you that in the summer mornings the engine block is warmer than in the winter. The stat works only upto 60c ish so once the engine is even vaguely warm it does nothing, forget the coolant, it has little influence over the waxstat when compared to the engine block.

But thats besides the point, since they rarely actually give enough movement to make a nats ass of difference. I've had more than one engine where i simply didn't bother to connect them and it made not one jot of difference (1.9na and 1.7td). And the lack of movement suggests they actually move, which they rarely do, because they do so little at the best of time they 'sieze' up.

The winters in this country aren't cold enough to need one if your plugs and filter is good.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Well in summer, it's pulls the advance in just as much as it does in winter - against the stop on the pump! Thus negating any climatic effect in terms of operation. The only difference the climate will make is that the waxstat will back off more quickly in summer as it'll need less heat energy from the engine/coolant.

Modern systems you could declare as climate related as they measure air temperature as well as coolant temperature, but BX era are operated by coolant temp

Of course the block is warmer in summer than in winter, that's fairly standard!

The movement they give needs to be at least 6mm to quote the HBOL and it's often more. Yes they seize up or for some reason stop working, but in my experience, like I said, I've bought 2 in 13 years.

As for doing feck all, well, that's not true either. Advancing the timing a few degrees during cold start makes a huge difference. If good glow plugs and filter were enough they wouldn't go to the expense of fitting advance mechanisms would they?

Vanny
Site Admin

Bx Bandit wrote:they wouldn't go to the expense of fitting advance mechanisms would they
Yes they would, for cold climates!

I've never had one that actually did any good, and i've fitted a new one to a 1.7td, and set it up correctly, and it did the square route of feck all. Much better to add some pressure to the loud pedal.

Its not a matter of wether advancing the timing helps or hinders, its about the damn thing actually making that change. And yes i'm well aware that if you press it by hand you can feel/see/hear some difference, but only if you press the lever by hand! Wax stats simply dont work in there configuration on XUD engines.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Dunno then mate. Too much friction in the lining? They tend to come too long and I trim to length.

On the Bosch however, the timing one, a bowden cable would be ace - if I could trust Mrs B to push it in after a few minutes or so......actually that sounds quite rude but what the heck!

Vanny
Site Admin

Bx Bandit wrote:Too much friction in the lining?
:D :D

giggle
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Bx Bandit wrote:On the Bosch however, the timing one, a bowden cable would be ace
I've got that on the van, like an old choke knob. If you like I'll show you it at Stratford...
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 19 Aug 2010

if I could trust Mrs B to push it in after a few
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Giggle Giggle
I'll show it to you at Stratford if you like
:lol: :lol:

Giggle giggle giggle.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Ah, welcome back Phil! How's tricks?
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

mat_the_cat wrote:
Bx Bandit wrote:On the Bosch however, the timing one, a bowden cable would be ace
I've got that on the van, like an old choke knob. If you like I'll show you it at Stratford...
Ooooh, choke, knob and show in the same sentence! [drool]

Anyway, Phil beat me to it, the immature bastard! :mrgreen:

You back in blighty now old bean?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 19 Aug 2010

:lol: :lol: Yes, got back yesterday looking like a packi. We only got 3 days rain out of two and a half weeks. It's still a mystery to me how warm it is over there in summer. It was 20 at night and up near 30 when the sun was out. Got bitten to death by the mozzies though., will have to cut the swimming in an evening, there's swarms of the fuckers!!!!

Had a great time though, took my grandaughter with me, she's nearly 14. There was a big night out in Kalmar on the first Friday. run by the local radio station, there were 2 stages with live big name bands (scandinavian) Bjorn, my son in law knew somebody and got her backstage to meet Broken Door (rock band). She was made up, good night out.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 28 Aug 2010

Today i've checked all the pipework from the tank to the primer head, replaced the primer with a new unit, cleaned all unions and replaced the copper washers all the way up to the pump. I built the Primer head up on the bench so all the seals were seated correctly and everything is assembled perfectly...

The cunt still ain't right!

The fuel is still running back after switching off. Literally 3 minutes after switching off i can go back and turn the key and it'll burst into life instantly (with the fuel left in the pump) and then die. It the requires re-priming in order to start again...

This has now become seriously annoying and I really don't want the starter motor burning out! So, anyone got any bright ideas???

When it's running, it runs fine but lacking power: Imagine a petrol engine where one of your HT leads is loose, you can feel it's running on 3 but every now and again on light throttle the fourth connects and you get a sudden boost of the missing power then it's all gone again... it's a bit like that.

The turbo is spinning up fine, but every now and again you get that little extra power (above) showing you what it's capable of and it's pretty sprightly (for about 2 seconds)...

Yours sincerely,

P. Istoff.
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Aug 2010

I should take up Doc's offer of the later system. the filter is mounted above the thermostat and the primer becomes a bulb much further back in the line. I've never had any problems with my 19 with this type. I had an old RD with your type on it which did that from time to time.
The only other thing I can think of is that you have a faulty injector.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 28 Aug 2010

Doc was offering me the old Primer Head from the 17, not from the 19...
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 28 Aug 2010

The surge is definitely air mate, has to be. I know it sounds odd, and it can be fucking alarming. Lucas pumps are prone to it.

The running back to tank must be the non return valve in the primer head. The primer head Doc has offered, be it a 1.9 or a 1.7 will be the same I would expect. Either that or buy a priming bulb like this one but not this one as it looks like it'll leak through the end fittings in rag time or even just a non return valve.

Keep with it matey, once it's sorted, it's worth any effort. Also, the metal pipes from tank to front of o/s subframe can rot, so if in doubt, reaplce with rubber all the way to the primer bulb/filter housing.