Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: My new toy...

Post by docchevron132 » 09 Aug 2010

I've felt like that for years..
I have to get a tyre done this week for the TD, so I'll take some rims and have them checked for roundness..
The rim may want a refurb mind, most of the ones I have are corroded on the outer lip, where they all do..
Stratty ok, or you want before?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 09 Aug 2010

Stratty'll be fine mate, i've got a car load of crap to bring anyway :lol:
Almost BX-less

jayw
Part of the decor

Righty-o... gave her a service this morning and was hoping the one engine related issue would be resolved by the new Derv filter... Yeah right!

When i give it a spirited run round a large roundabout (i.e. a long right-hander) she was spluttering on the straighten up... Fuel starvation. (I assumed a clogged filter as it hasn't been changed in years.)

Took her for a run after the new filters this morning and she seemed fine... until i did a U-turn with a bit of gusto and she died completely, took several attempt before she cranked enough to pull the fuel through and then ran perfect again!

This is where you say "that'll happen when you're chucking it about low on fuel" and i say "she's had Half a Tank since i bought it and filled her up"...

Suggestions on a postcard please... :roll:
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 09 Aug 2010

are you sure it's fuel starvation and not the stop solonoid wiring?

Next thing to check then, if it is lack of fuel to the pump would be the pick up pipe unit in the tank.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 09 Aug 2010

docchevron132 wrote:are you sure it's fuel starvation and not the stop solonoid wiring?

Next thing to check then, if it is lack of fuel to the pump would be the pick up pipe unit in the tank.
Had some real problems once with intermittent connections in the ignition switch loom (previously had an alarm system Scotchlocked into it). The engine would die at very inconvenient times as the wires moved. A cable tie was quick fix to stop wire movement, a new assembly cured it in the long term.

jayw
Part of the decor

docchevron132 wrote:are you sure it's fuel starvation and not the stop solonoid wiring?

If it were the solenoid would it not just pass out and restarting be as normal as any other start-up? Don't see that it would cause the spluttering and difficulty restarting?
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 09 Aug 2010

On the Morris I once had the indicators not working, got out the car to check and they worked, got back in the car and they stopped! Twas seriously just the tilt of the car as I sat in it.

Anyway, why not fix a live on to the solenoid to see if it does the same.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

Fuel issues asside, it's as finished as it'll get for now and here it is in all it's resplendent glory:

Spent most of the afternoon T'cutting & Polishing and fitted the Valver backbox. The bootlid is FUBAR'd, the GB badge neatly covering where someone has backed it into a post an twatted it one. But, no great loss as i need to find a replacement anyway due to the spoiler paint not matching, not liking the black bit below the window and wanting the numberplate surround to be black.

Collecting Interior and Wheels later this week.

Jobbed. For now.
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Did you find the valver back box made a difference???? (I asked, with loaded answer!)
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

Bx Bandit wrote:Did you find the valver back box made a difference???? (I asked, with loaded answer!)
I found that it gave me 4 extra Horses and a smoother torque curve starting slightly lower down... :lol:

What can i say, it filled my hole a lot better than that horrible weedy thing hanging down :wink:
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

:lol: :lol: Oh, your hole looks beautifully filled mate! :mrgreen:

I only ask, as, when I bought the Tizzy off D Rutherford, it had a 16v box fitted which I had to take off and put on the valver, so, I put a stock TD box back on and it really was just a tad 'less breathy' but quite noticeably so. How much difference to HP etc is I haven't a clue and is probably small but the standard box certainly seemed to choke the engine a tad!

jayw
Part of the decor

In all fairness, i thought it had become a little more sprightly with it on but assumed i was willing it into reality...

It does seem to pick up better. Could swap it back just to test but really can't be arsed to roll round on the floor getting covered in LHM anymore :roll:
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Nah fuck it man, that look kewl anyways! You going silver or black speedlines?

jayw
Part of the decor

Neither. Got Chilip Phidlows old GTi steelies & trims for a lot less than the couple of tyres i'd need to sort out my VERY tired Valver rims.

The rears on the car are 20 year old MXV's with about 2mm on them and at least she'll be looking good for Stratty when coupled with the complete Monza Interior going in her at the weekend! :wink:
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

But...................but..................they is not Speedlines like. Trims FTL mofo!

jayw
Part of the decor

They're good enuff for me!
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Aug 2010

jayw wrote: If it were the solenoid would it not just pass out and restarting be as normal as any other start-up? Don't see that it would cause the spluttering and difficulty restarting?
Possibly, but, if there's a duff connection varying the voltage enough to trip the solonoid out then maybe just enough to pull it back a tad it could be a bitch to start..
dunno really..
Are the engine mountings ok?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 18 Aug 2010

Had a busy few days...

Fitted the Valver Interior

Fitted the GTi Wheels & Trims

Spent 4 hours under the fucker changing the fucking mother-fucker of a fucking Octopus (you can tell I didn't had fun, asside of mostly amputating the nail and nail-bed from my middle digit...) . But, it's done and no longer pissing all over my drive...

I decided to glue the 4 plastic pipes into the octopus after cutting them where the joins could be accessed much more easily (the rear returns are now joined just behind the subframe and the other 2 from the nearside are now joined under the centre of the subframe).

And for those running a book on the cause of the leak... YES, it was the front HC hose at the joint with the Octupus body... Bastard!

So, back to fuelling issues...

I hardwired the cut-off solenoid open and took her for a spin and she still died on the heavy corners... But, after cleaning all the crap off the seal facings on the filter housing this was cured...

But, after running it, parking up and trying to restart a few minutes later it's like the fuel's run back down the line... It will cough a couple of times, then need proper cranking before coughing into life for a few seconds then dying again. Further cranking will get it started and running fine and it drives 100% spot on!

This happens over and over again, whether it be 5 minutes rest or overnight :?

Oh, and it does seem to be "hunting" when idling (yes i know it's a diesel) :?
Last edited by jayw on 18 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 18 Aug 2010

:lol: At least it's done now mate [clap]

Still, shame about the 'trims'.......................loser! :mrgreen:

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 18 Aug 2010

leak offs
ImageImage