Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Les pneus

Post by mat_the_cat » 25 Aug 2010

I'm not a twat nav fan either, part of the fun (for me) of a long journey is looking at the map beforehand and picking the most interesting looking route. They do have their uses I suppose but we don't own one.
I do find it amusing driving at night on the motorway and seeing the number of screens lit up in people's windscreens!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 25 Aug 2010

:) I find those stupid screens pretty expensive useless toys.
I look up on a map first, then use google maps with streetview and print off pictures of any things of note, like what my destination looks like.
You can print off the whole written route too (helps with the memory) At least you know where you are going.
Just a thought:- How come you get done for using a phone, yet it's OK to blitz along at 70+ staring at a screen??? [chin] [no]
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 25 Aug 2010

OR what if im using the GPS satnav on my phone? Id like to see that come up in court.

Judge: You are accused of using your phone whilst driving
Me: No i was using the satnav function on it, i see people driving using satnavs all the time.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 25 Aug 2010

Screen size will obviously make a difference but at what point does it become OK, and who decides? Plus I bet some phones have bigger screens than some sat navs.
Image Image Image Image

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 26 Aug 2010

The mobile law is not enforced as far as I can tell - unless there's an accident and no doubt insurance liability has to be determined.

I get so annoyed by the twatty SatNav voice... and bear left is not the same as turn left, and Brighton is nowhere near Medway and I find using common sense makes more sense. :)

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 26 Aug 2010

There are rumours that Brian Blessed is going to do a sat nav voiceover, that would be worth buying one for!
Image Image Image Image

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 26 Aug 2010

I can just imagine him launching into a showbiz anecdote on motorway stages...my sister has a habit of downloading famous voices for hers - Basil Fawlty anyone?

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 26 Aug 2010

There isn't a law on mobile phone use. The law is for portable and or communication devices, so it already covers sat navs/sat nav phones.

The best thing about not having a sat nav in my opinion is all the exciting places you find when temporarily miss placed, especially little back alley shops you come accross when doing a quick turn around having previously missed a junction.
ImageImage

stu
Established

Post by stu » 26 Aug 2010

Scarecrow wrote:The mobile law is not enforced as far as I can tell - unless there's an accident and no doubt insurance liability has to be determined.
Oh yes it is.

I mentioned to an officer lately how he seemed to enjoy doing people for using their phones and he explained why - it's because he'd been to several fatals in which the dead driver was clutching his phone.
Cheers,
Stu

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 26 Aug 2010

all the exciting places you find when temporarily miss placed, especially little back alley shops you come accross when doing a quick turn, having previously missed the one you were looking for.

:) He must have found THOSE streets in Amsterdam 8)

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 27 Aug 2010

Have you not been to Amsterdam Phil? 'Those' streets (both types) are most certainly NOT lost hidden back streets, and are right ontop of Damm square so hardly easy to miss. Even Mat, in a drunk state, could navigate his way there.

They're not as safe a place as they used to be!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 27 Aug 2010

Good pint of Amstel beer just of the square - you mean the one with the Grass Hopper Bar on it?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 27 Aug 2010

Vanny wrote:Even Mat, in a drunk state, could navigate his way there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Bastard.

And I have done!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Aug 2010

:o Does Mat get drunk then :?

It's a long time since I was there actually. The first time I spent pissed mostly in bars and cafe's around the Oude kerke. Which I now know is about 5 mins walk behind Dam square.

I know this because the last time I went it was just me and the mrs. I got to see a whole lot of things I never saw on the first 2 times I went, including the Rijks museum :oops: 8)

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 27 Aug 2010

Philhod wrote:Which I now know is about 5 mins walk behind Dam square.
Or 10 minutes if you swim :lol:
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Aug 2010

The 2 times we went from work there was about 10 of us. How ever we all managed to stay out of a canal I'll never know.
We only went down canal st in Manchester once :oops: and 2 of the group took a swim.
The cops were going to arrest Tex, but didn't coz they couldn't stop laughing. :)

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 28 Aug 2010

I went to Holland for the bulb picking one year - but when I got there it was the wrong season and all of the camp sites were closed. Eventually found myself in Amsterdam with about £50 and where a German bloke gave me a nefarious cigarette and then proceeded to abuse me about WW2!

On the way back a disturbed youth attached himself to me, I fell out with the coach driver because I made him wait for a girl at a service station because she was a couple of minutes late (woman troubles). Then got thrown off the coach at Dover for nearly fighting him after the now crying girl explained what he'd said to her in Flemish, and he'd blamed me for ripping his curtains which had actually been torn down to use as a blanket by the disturbed youth mentioned before who had passed out after eating all of his drugs :roll:

Eventually the police came to arrest me and after a chat about the circumstances they told the driver he had to let me back on and all of the passengers applauded me :lol: If only my mum could have seen that :roll:

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Aug 2010

:lol: :lol: You see, that's where diplomacy works for you.
I would have probably been arrested coz I would have laid the cunt out and driven his bus myself. No patience see. 8)

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 28 Aug 2010

stu wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:The mobile law is not enforced as far as I can tell - unless there's an accident and no doubt insurance liability has to be determined.
Oh yes it is.

I mentioned to an officer lately how he seemed to enjoy doing people for using their phones and he explained why - it's because he'd been to several fatals in which the dead driver was clutching his phone.

I should have said 'observed' rather than 'enforced'... but what can you do if people don't take any notice?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Aug 2010

Kill them!