General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: Arse-licking Eurocrats...

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Aug 2010

Talking of which............I think I got had today...58 in a 50. I'm normally quite careful with speed limits, but this plonker was 'supposedly' towing a caravan but was clearly unable to and anything above 20 miles an hour, so I lost my rag and over took in a fit if rage.....blaa blaa blaa bastard cop!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 17 Aug 2010

Your allowed to accelerate past a danger, and that includes overtaking, and that includes (where suitable) an excess of speed above the posted speed limit.

An actual copper would probably know this, older the better too, explain that these are the instructions in Road Craft.
ImageImage

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 17 Aug 2010

im surprised he bothered , allowing 10% for speedo error you were only 3 mph over
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Well I only suspect MT, I saw the van and then looked at my speedo. What annoys me is that, ok, I got caught when I was 17, doing 45 in a 30. The best thing that the policeman did was educate me:
After the usual "you've been 'ad" thing, he asked:
"why do you think the speed limit is 30?"

Being all spotty and not having a clue I said

"I dunno.............."

he replied

"Well, there's no pavement, there is a school and an old people's home. Where do you think they are going to walk?"

Being honest, I was as naive as a non educated hermit, but he made me think, and I've taken built up 30/40/50 speed limits quite seriously. BUT, 20 yrs without a penalty and, ok, my toe slipped over a little, but it's gonna cost £90. I know this as Mrs B got caught only 6 weeks ago :evil: That's £180 in fucking fines. Ok, my fault, (and Mrs B's) but it's not like we're the fucking dangerous bunch like
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 17 Aug 2010

Bugger. Do you mean your speedo was showing 58? If so you'll probably be OK - my understanding is the tolerance you are 'allowed' is 10% for the speedo accuracy and 2mph for the readability of the speedo.
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Yeah i rekon speedo was about 60, certainly not over. But what a bummer bastard cunting........................erm cunt copper!

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 17 Aug 2010

thats not a copper then, it'll be one of those PCSO things!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 18 Aug 2010

plastic pig's.. arses.
The equipment on the mobile rigs is also known to be wildly inaccurate, since it was deemed fine to only calibrate them once a year. Angle of attack wildly alters recorded speed also..
Do you not get the option of a Sped Awareness course over there then? £60 "fee" for attending the course, no points.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 18 Aug 2010

Yep, it's £60 + 3 points or £90 (or possibly £80 thinking about it) for the course and null points

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 18 Aug 2010

Fucking hell, you get arse raped for £30 more for a course that is, erm, largely a it pointless..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 18 Aug 2010

I know, but it stops you getting points on your licence and so protects your insurance..............................in theory :roll:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Aug 2010

It does, you don't have to declare it because it's it's not an endorsement offence.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

stu
Established

Post by stu » 19 Aug 2010

I got caught on camera and took the course a couple of years back (I was late for my own 29th birthday) - I thought it was a quite useful refresher.

Face it - we MoT our cars every year and what proportion of accidents are caused by car faults? Hardly any.

But we can drive from age 17-80 without a refresher and what proportion of accidents are caused by driver error/stupidity/incompetence? Quite.

I'm saving for my IAM at the moment.
Cheers,
Stu

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Aug 2010

true..
I can't say I learmnt anything I didn't already know, but then I get to sit in a classroom a few times a year and be spoken to like I'm a three year old in work anyhow!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 19 Aug 2010

docchevron132 wrote:I get to sit in a classroom a few times a year and be spoken to like I'm a three year old in work anyhow!
How is the "special kids" nursery?... :lol:
Almost BX-less

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 19 Aug 2010

Ahhhh, they days of being bollocked by a copper.

Largely gone now, though I did get my knuckles rapped after dad died when I went through a red light and nearly side swiped a Merc. It didnt help that there were 2 panda cars and a van behind me at the lights.
In my mitigation (apart from my head beig a bit up my arse) there were three sets of lights in close succession and whilst I was at set of lights one, set of lights two went to green and I was watching them - away I went...
Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 19 Aug 2010

I wonder what proportion of accidents are caused by poor drivers versus typical drivers who lose concentration for a short time?
The irony is that advanced driving courses seem to attract good drivers (i.e. those who realise they aren't perfect and have something still to learn) but not those drivers who think they know it all already...
Image Image Image Image

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 19 Aug 2010

iirc you can ask to see a calibration test for the day in question , if the gear isnt calibrated on that day its accuracy can be put into doubt .

Also you can ask to see the officers certificate of competency to operate the equipment, if he cant produce it his skill in operating the machinery can be questioned , usually if you do either you hear nothing more about the incident
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 19 Aug 2010

That's nice to know Suggs! We shall have to see if I get the dreaded letter! Rather oddly, I tend not to jam on the brakes if I see a camera with a person behind it, I just ease off - as if to suggest that by suddenly braking, I was guilty.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 19 Aug 2010

Father Ted's post moves me to describe the utterly lethal lights at the bottom of the road where I now live.

When I come home from work, I approach a set of traffic lights and turn right into my road.

Ordinarily, you ease across the line and into the middle of the junction on the green, wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic, and if there isn't a gap you turn right when it changes to amber - because the oncoming traffic has been stopped by then, right?

Not at these lights, it hasn't. I've got used to it now, but it almost got me the week after I moved here.
Cheers,
Stu