General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Arse-licking Eurocrats...

Post by Philhod » 19 Aug 2010

:) Well I've been done for speeding err, more than once and Mickey's right about the calibration and competence thing. The only thing is, if you elect to go to court you can receive a higher fine, they are not supposed to but it does happen.
If on the other hand you make a plea of mitigation and it would support a defence, the automatic "guilty" is not accepted by the court and you are invited to attend.
You are then 1/2 way there as the police have to dispute your version of events, which is very difficult for them to produce evidence for. ergo case dismissed.
I got done on a Gatso 2 years ago. they claimed I was doing 41 in a 30. I asked for the photo and timer. this proved I was doing 38, so I only received a £35 fine :) Still picked up 3 though :(
You can use the caravan and the fact that you were not traveling generally above the limit, but only to safely pass the 20mph roadblock and returned to below the limit immediately afterwards. They cannot dispute this as they only have evidence of the gun.
coupled with your otherwise clean license, I think you have a good plea there.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 20 Aug 2010

Philhod wrote:Mickey's right about the calibration and competence thing.
He WAS right, but not anymore.. The user must have a certificate yes, which they all do now, you'd be unbelievably lucky to find an operator without the bit of paper..

However, the units are now ONLY calibrated once per year, and they only have to be under the law, as per makers instructions..

Hence I couldn't use the usual defence last time I got rodgered by them. I was fucked over a barrell so to speak.
Interesting that the NIP has changed aswell, you dont even have to sign it now, it comes with a digital print of your signature from your driving licence, so you cant get round it by not signing the fucker anymore neither.. dirty filthy bastards.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 20 Aug 2010

Fuckin' ell then, they could stick your signature on any piece of paper and say your guilty m'lud :shock:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 20 Aug 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:Fuckin' ell then, they could stick your signature on any piece of paper and say your guilty m'lud :shock:
Well, maybe, but not...

By automatically signing the ticket with the signature of the person the car is REGISTERED to they are implying that that person is the guilty driver. However, that person may not have been driving.

As stupid as it sounds these days, english law does still go by the one integral rule, "Innocent until proven guilty" and ASSUMPTION of guilt is still a no-no where the courts are concerned because it leads to all sorts of cock ups, increased costs and embarrassment for the already struggling courts system.
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 20 Aug 2010

Phew, thank fuck for that! :wink:

Still no letter from the fake plastic cops! :mrgreen:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

I should also point out that plastic coppers (PCSO's) and Highways Agency (Highway Patrol) CANNOT issue speeding fines. In fact, contrary to popular belief, Highway Patrol have no Police powers. All they can do is report you for failing to follow their instructions (i.e. running a roadblock).

Also, i read this http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... g-lanes.do a few years ago (and apparently the law has still not been updated). Basically, there MUST be one camera per lane into AND out of a SPECS zone. (i.e. if you're on a 3 lane motorway and there's only 2 cameras... Get out of Jail Free...)

Although, i still fly through through SPECS and tuck into the rear or offside-rear (dependent on camera angle) of an LGV (flanked by the truck) before reaching the exit cameras which shields you from view of the camera.

It should also be noted that SPECS cameras only take a picture of your numberplate, not the driver so the argument that it was not you or someone's copied your plates is still valid.

An old work-colleague once got a SPECS fine through which included the photo of his plate, it was taken at night with the infra red and was awful quality but the plate was clear. However, we could clearly trace the edges of the bumper in the picture and it was definitely not his company Megane. The Magistrates agreed!
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 20 Aug 2010

jayw wrote:Highway Patrol have no Police powers
Thats not true Jay, you need to go read up on it, the Chief Constable of a local force CAN deputise Highway Patrol with certain Police powers which they feel fit. Infact it has even been written into the Road Traffic Act. The issue is that many forces DONT deputise the Highway Patrol because of the legal night mare of sorting things out when they screw up. But regardless, some DO have the power to act in a similar capacity to officers
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Where you getting that from?

I just checked here http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/1966.aspx and nothing appears to have changed.
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Aug 2010

I've seen that too Vanny. As I understand it. they can do it at a specific time and for a specific purpose only. CC's have powers to deputise almost anyone under those rules.

Vanny
Site Admin

Road Traffic Act is 1998 NOT 1966, i haven't looked at the link (because i would personally get the data from HMSO rather than the highways agency) but it looks all kinds of wrong.

If you have a look in your current copy of the Highway Code (you have a current copy right?) then each paragraph has a reference (in red) to the relevant law. Thats how i found out about it. Just google the reference.

If you dont have a current copy of the highway code then i'll look it up when i get home.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Vanny wrote:(you have a current copy right?)
Oh, hang on, i'm sure it's here somewhere... :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

That link has nothing to do with 1966! It's actually up to date (april 2010)!
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Okay, been and read it now, that link is one persons interpretation of a law, and it contradicts its self.

Only the police (and possibly emergency services) are allowed to close a road on an ad hoc basis, anyone else (ie highways agency/road works) have to do all the paper work. Traffic wombles do close roads on an adhoc basis, therefore they are carrying out the duties of a police officer . . .

Either way, they are pretty cracking guys (of those i've met) and i'm pretty sure in a fight the coppers would back them!
ImageImage

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 20 Aug 2010

Going back to the thing about Muslims - I'm getting a bit pissed-off about the West being expected to bail out Pakistan (not literally I hope) - what about all those rich Arab oil-states: - Saudi, Dubai so on (there must be more) why don't they share their oil riches with their brothers? Haven't we contributed enough in Iraq and Afghanistan... ( [run] )?

And I agree that the Muslims I've met, whilst not generally being offensive, always seem to give off an air of disapproval, at least separateness. No wait, that's almost everyone I meet, scrap the rest.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Aug 2010

:lol: When they are at home they are totally different people, either that or we get all the rejects over here. I've worked in Saudi, Dubai, Libya and Bahrain.
They are the best hosts you could wish for, nothing is too much trouble and they appreciate the impact britain has had on their development, which knowing well the history of the last 100 years, I found strange. They are not quite as happy with the yanks and they positively shun all others not from their country, treating Pakistani's in particular, like shit.
They look after their own, but only from their own country. A tad like most of us on here would like to see in this country I think.

My Highway code reads 1962 Vanny :oops: :oops:

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 21 Aug 2010

Bahrain is probably the most cosmopolitan of the Arab States (and wet :D ) but Pakistani's, Sudenese etc are the taxi-drivers and menial workers there to serve the Arabs. The native Arabs don't drive cabs etc from my observation and in times of any economic slowdown in any sector then those migrant workers supporting that sector are quickly expelled back to from whence they came rather than be supported by the state through any difficulty. Given their hard line there, it is even less likely they will help resolve/relieve any distant problems.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Aug 2010

I shant be donating to the aid effort in Pakistan based on it being a no-no to aid terrorism.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 21 Aug 2010

Scarecrow wrote:I'll never swear on here
But then...
Scarecrow wrote:I'm getting a bit pissed-off
Aha, I knew it wouldn't be long!
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

is pissed even a swear word anymore? It's soooo diluted now..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 21 Aug 2010

Diluted? Perhaps the wrong choice of word...

Although I suppose that would make it less salty.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

wait, are we talking piss of jizz here??
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance