General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Vanny
Site Admin

Green fingers?

Post by Vanny » 12 Aug 2010

Anyone else have green fingers?

I'm currently gathering an obscene amount of fresh tomatoes and green beans. There will be a soup-off this weekend i think!

First propper year (i don't count last year), paid £20 for a £100 automatic watering system which rather helps. My dad saw it, and the following day went and spent £300 odd on all the toys. Though in the summer he turns most of it off and uses a watering can :D Old people, tsk
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Re: Green fingers?

Post by Bx Bandit » 12 Aug 2010

Not really - we got kicked off our allotment for growing too many weeds (sadly, not for growing too much weed! :P :wink: )

Can't be arsed with pinching trusses of here and wotnot, although I think if I actually bothered to learn how to do it, I'd enjoy it, cos I love tomatoes. Mrs B has grown beans and courgettes in the garden. Both years from the allotment mind you we had potatoes and onions. Both a piece of cake and very rewarding!

I'd like to try chillies though!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 12 Aug 2010

chillies are a doddle, do well in the bathroom.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 12 Aug 2010

/\ really? Right then...................
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 12 Aug 2010

Not too fussed about the veggies, but I'm keen to plant some proper British trees around the place. Still haven't managed to clear all the old pines yet though.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 13 Aug 2010

I love gardening me..
I take a garden, then concrete the cunt over. Jobbed.

Kate loves growing beans, tomatoes, and, er, anything that grows really.
I prefer dumping engines, subframes and any other car related tat on my garden, which is why it looks like Jurassic Park minues the dinos (do have a badger sett in the back garden though)
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 13 Aug 2010

I'd love the option of something to concrete over or not but can't really complain as a roof over my head is bettter than none. What I really like is some of the "accidental" stuff in older gardens like wild strawberries - pure nectar.

When my parents' house was sold the new owners adopted a scorched-earth policy on the garden and got rid of anything "useless" like that (also rasperries, loganberries and a very well-established vine). They were quite entitled to do, but it still felt like pure vandalism to me.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 13 Aug 2010

Ooooh loganberries yum yum. I dig your approach there Doc but fruit tastes nicer!

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 13 Aug 2010

Loganberries are great, but wild strawberries are just sheer little nuggets of delight. Gooseberries, blackcurrants, blackberries, random wild plums hidden away in lots of places if you look hard enough - love 'em all.

I tried to think of a dirty metaphor/synonym for Wild Strawberries vs Cultivated but failed - though there are obvious ones. Comparing wild/cultivated varieties of strawberries would be a good line of argument in a "size isn't everything" erm.. discussion.

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 13 Aug 2010

"Well, I think the answer lies... in the soil"

I like to think I've become a little green-fingered of late. I've been growing Fresno chillies successfully for a while (well actually a bought plant, but I've over-wintered it twice, so this is the third crop I've got from it! It lives indoors now) - only thing is they're no good for drying so I can't keep em long. In this weather they's not turning red either :x I'd like to try different varieties like Disco Stu has.

Also I've got some sage, parsley and spring onions I've grown from seed, together with rosemary and bay (bought). I'd love to plant more, and I bought some tubs for the purpose, but haven't had time recently.

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 13 Aug 2010

On the chilli front, i give them a little tomato food once fully grown and just leave them to it, they seem to take a while to red but give it a nice sunny day and all is well.

Additional to the Toms and green beans, i also have the occasional strawb, masses of chard (came from an elderly neighbour who told me it was rhubarb, rats) and in the soil, sweetcorn, carrots, peas, spring onion, leaks, garlic, chives and bucket loads of weeds :D

Not to mention a growing collection of Titch books, and a rediculously large number of Gardena gardening tools (VERY highly recommended, i've been using them literally since i was born, and never had anything warp, bend or break!).

Oh i almost forgot the Thyme, Rosemary and Barry Basil, a 'dispose after two weeks' pre grown from ASDA that was repotted about 5 months ago :D

TO be honest, i'm not all that good at the whole GYO thing, Laura however, now she's green fingered.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 13 Aug 2010

Titch is a genius. It's thanks to him I've had a (reasonably successful - I hope) go at designing our garden......still WIP mind :roll:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 14 Aug 2010

oh jesus, Kate would love this thread, she worships the Titch bloke...

GYO became passe whena supermarket popped up at the end of every street.
Why wait fucking months to eat some shit when you can just go to Tesco's?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 14 Aug 2010

Why wait fucking months to eat some shit when you can just go to Tesco's?
When you can grow it yourself, be proud and eat it al fresco
tra la laal lllaaa de dum deee

lyrics donated courtesy of Ms Lil Allen xxx [drool] hmna hmna

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 14 Aug 2010

Lilly Allen is a slag!

Only concert i've ever been too and she was absolutley disgraceful!

GYO is on the up and up though, most people i know seem to be growing something on the side.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 14 Aug 2010

I would though...

The other point with GYO is freshness - Lana has been growing a few veggies but only potatoes seem to have survived. She dug some up one afternoon and we had them for tea, can't get much fresher than that!
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 14 Aug 2010

Vanny wrote:Lilly Allen is a slag!
I've always fantasised that that's the case... :roll:
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 14 Aug 2010

:lol: slag or no slag, like Matt - I would!

And if my fingers come out green then I think GYO might be Gynological Yucky Orifice!

Fish_Botherer

Post by Fish_Botherer » 14 Aug 2010

Erm.. didn't she move to somewhere near Stroud lately... a solution to Doc's dilemmas? Though I do seem to recall she is "with child". Or was it just her dad who moved there (without bun in oven).

She resembles her uncle "Twin Town" Kevin (who knocked around with some people I used to know in Swansea) rather more than her dad (thankfully). Right little Lothario he was (Kevin), but I don't want to knock someone who did go from amateur Drama Group (not stage school) to TV and then to films.

Not wanting to turn BXP into "Hello"/"Heat" either.....so I'll stop there

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 14 Aug 2010

So, i've turned the toms, with some other things, into soup, and its fantastic!!!!
ImageImage