General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Why now?

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Aug 2010

I don't know if any of you ever stayed in touch with people you went to school with, I didn't, and never thought about them until recently..
So why do I now have this bizarre urge to go find these people?
As it goes I've found a fair few on Facebook, but haven't actually messaged them or owt..
No idea if I will or not actually, but I have no idea why after 14 years of not seeing these people I suddenly want to speak to them again...

Seems some of them actually have gone and done alright for themselves too!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Re: Why now?

Post by Way2go » 30 Aug 2010

It was freinds reunited.com that started people thinking about this wasn't it and was the forerunner of the current fashionable social networking sites.

I have maintained contact with a few from school over the years and some ex-workmates. All via telephone/mail and vitually none from these sites.
Was flagged for a school reunion on FR, nearly went but then abandoned the idea as it somehow seemed a bit pointless on further reflection. :wink: Those that I've stayed in touch with are more special because of that and the fact they are not diluted amongst the many that contact has not been maintained with.

For your situation tbough, school days are relatively recent (so more might attend) and if there were characters you would like to meet up with again, perhaps you could arrange a re-union at your school? Have you checked on FR on this as I believe full membership is now free?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 30 Aug 2010

Aye, I speak to only a very small handful of people I went to school with - about 4.
I have in fact put people on my "blocked" list due to not having seen them for 25 years and them suddenly wanting to reminisce.
I fuckin hated cunts at school who made fun of my flared trousers and now after 20 odd years they want to chat as if we are old friends - fooooook orf.
I keep in touch more with people I worked / trained with though.
Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 30 Aug 2010

Since the advent of facebook the world has become a much smaller place! I can safely say that i had only a small handful of proper friends at school, most of whom i haven't seen in years and aren't on facebook (so are probably dead).

However, I seem to have ammassed around 50 "schoolfriends" on FB, only half a dozen of which I searched out.

I didn't go to the 17 year reunion recently (all in aid of the organisers "look at me look at me" desire to be centre of attention - some things never change) purely because all i'd want to do is punch the cunts that used to bully me because of things i had no control over (like jack-ups and hand-me-downs).

However, on the bright side, i did find out that a few of the girls did fancy me at school, i just wasn't cool enough at the time... I responded by screwing 2 of them (not at the same time) and if i were currently single i'd be screwing the fuck out of one i REALLY fancied who used to be WAYYYYY out of my league, so much so i don't remember EVER talking at school, now we chat all the time.

In summary, Facebook isn't really a "Friend" site, more an "Aquaintance" one...

Talk to the ones you want to, you'll soon find that as your network grows, the ones you don't/didn't like will try to add you and you can ignore them... bit like the half-dozen times i've ignored Leechy's request...

And if someone jars you off, block them. (or just tell them to fuck off and die)...

That's my Facebook review... can't comment on Twatter etc. don't use anything else...
Almost BX-less

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 30 Aug 2010

I'm glad I'm not alone in not wanting anything to do with the twats I used to go to school with - I thought I was being asocial!

I'm afraid I had the unwanted and unwarranted tag of "second hardest in the school" applied to me, and was constantly challenged physically. Eventually the phrase, "fuck you, I'll take you all on" resulted in literally that happening... :shock: I remember telling the headmaster where he could shove his school when he rang up to suspend me! That was that - thrown out of school a couple of months before my 'O' levels. :twisted:

Did the Facebook thing 4 years ago, then committed Facebook suicide with many others a few months later because I got fed up!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Aug 2010

That's uncanny timing Doc! On Friday or Saturday night, I did just that - search loads of people on my 'not very old and very not used' facebook account, purely out of curiosity..........what are they to now/is she still fit kinda thing.
Most people I actually did bother with/liked at school don't have accounts but I did find the odd few, most of whom I thought were knobs and like you say, they've done very well for themselves, and I started reflecting on my own life and felt quite down tbh.
Thankfully, I reminded myself that I'm quite happy with life now.

In one word Doc, curiosity mate
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 30 Aug 2010

I have 2 persona's on Facebollocks.
Me and Ted Crilly.

Ted will be friends with anyone, will join any group, has a few groups going himself including "turn the fucking washing machine off when you have finished with it" and "Pull your fucking finger out United Utilities", but he will also call you a cunt if he thinks you are one - in fact I may just do so to Mr. Lovett for long winded reasons its not worth going into - if you want an autographed picture of Norman and Hattie and his DVD they are on eBay right now.....

Me is only friends with a small smattering of people I actually know and in 99% of cases have met face to face. Only the Doc has yet to experience the largeness that is Fr Ted.....
Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 30 Aug 2010

I went to a school reunion last year (through FB), and although the majority of people I didn't plan to (and haven't) keep in touch with, there are a few I have. It was interesting to see how people have changed, some of them have aged a lot better than others!
I think it's entirely normal to wonder, and I can't see how much harm can come of it. I've always found it puzzling how many people appear to have done well for themselves...no one ever makes a point about how they fucked up in life do they?

How do you define doing well for themselves? In monetry terms? Nice looking partner? Happiness and contentment?
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Aug 2010

I dunno really. I am curious I guess.
I equally find it odd that of the ones I've stumbled across, the ones I thought probably wouldn't do much with their lives have done well, in terms of money and partners et al, whereas the ones I thought "they'll be president of the universe oneday" seem to be, well not much, a bit like me I guess.. bus driving isn't exactley a sought after job, and I could have done a good deal better, I just couldn't be arsed, so in that sense I guess I'm one of the failures, not that I'm bothered about that, I like what I do on the whole.
It's funny as fuck seeing pictures of them now though, only Charlotte Veale looks exactley as she did 14 years ago..

I guess they can't have been that important since I honestly only could remember the names of three of them, the rest I just tripped across and thought "that rings a bell" after scouring the three's friends lists...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 30 Aug 2010

I think we all go through a phase of, I wonder what happened to so and so, once in a while.
Nostalgia can creep up, usually when we are bored. I tried to discover what happened to a number of my old mates about 10 years back. The first 3 just happened to be dead so this other voice said ...leave it...leave it.
On the other hand, The daughter who lives in Sweden tried to find her best mate from school. Bev actually came on holiday with us a few times, as her mam was on her own and they hadn't much wonga etc.
Turns out she is living in Denmark married to a Dane. Just seemed strange that they both ended up in Scandinavia [chin]
They both live about the same distance from Kopenhavn, so each went in on the train and had a day out together and are in regular contact again now.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 30 Aug 2010

My oldest and closest friend, one of very few people I would trust to the end of the earth, I met wearing the same uniform on a 208 bus in 1991. There are a few others from those days that I consider lifelong friends and keep in touch with *because we are friends.*

The rest of them, I have no interest in. We attended the same institution over a period of time - so what.
Cheers,
Stu

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Aug 2010

mat_the_cat wrote:How do you define doing well for themselves? In monetry terms? Nice looking partner? Happiness and contentment?
Good question! I guess in monetary terms, it means are they comfortable? i.e. a good level of disposable income. But what's a 'good level of disposable'? All depends on your lifestyle and aspirations I guess.

As for nice looking partner? I guess it can act as a measure of how well someone can be perceived to be doing well, but I think it's just that - a perceived measure

Happiness and contentment? The most important thing IMO, yet I think in evades a large proportion of people, especially in this 'must have latest gadget/car/house&garden design/style' etc. It's all bolx and materialism. Happiness comes from within and perhaps should be the yardstick with which we use to 'judge' others degree of 'success' or having done well..............
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Aug 2010

I'm fucked on all counts then...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Aug 2010

Oh Doccers my fluffy love bundle, what shall we do with you hmmmm?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Aug 2010

Oh Doccers my fluffy love bundle, what shall we do with you hmmmm?

:shock: You mean at Stratty Bandit.....Can I watch [drool] 8)

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 31 Aug 2010

Im happy.

Sure I want more money, a bigger house, a bigger dick and a wife who looks like Anneka Rice did 20 years ago. But hey compared with a lot of people Im well off.
Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 01 Sep 2010

Dont get me wrong, I'm not unhappy as such, I have lots of nice things (well, stuff I like even if no-one else does) I enjoy my spare time tinkering with shit, although I'd like to get back to the bus rather than cars TBH, but ya know, equally, I'm not actually all that happy most of the time, part of which is worrying about Kate (I know I know, but I just do, can't help it) and from that stems this uncertanty, like, I feel like I cant really go and find a life until she's settled and happy, and I know thats her problem to deal with, but there's just something in me that needs to know she's ok ta know, even if I never see her again, I'd still need to know she's ok..
Hence I'd like to think she'll move, settle and cheer up, but the more time goes on the more I think the end is still nowhere in sight, and thats kinda depressing..
Yes, I should walk away, but I cant, and I wont, I made a promise.. and I intend to stick to it as much as I can..
meh, I dunno... life eh.. how'd have it.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Sep 2010

:shock: Your having withdrawal symptoms again :) Just keep remembering how pissed off you were the other week.

There is an old couple about 70, lives near me. 30 years ago they were in a similar sort of situation to you.
(Proclivity way if you get my drift)
He moved in with her about 15 years ago and they live more like brother and sister really.

I'm beginning to think that's how most of us end up TBH. :(

Mind you, like FT, I have lots of things that others don't, (Good health mainly) so it doesn't do to complain .
I got depressed once and didn't like it so I haven't done it again :lol:

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 01 Sep 2010

Yeah - I find women I don't fancy a hell of a lot easier to live with! I'm definitely a "no strings attached" kinda fella - and I mean to keep it that way. The problem is the first bit of attention I get from a woman I tend to turn to mush! Dogs are better.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Sep 2010

Scarecrow wrote:The problem is the first bit of attention I get from a woman I tend to turn to mush!
Yeah, there's no greater attractive quality in a woman than knowing she likes you. Or am I in a minority?

I've got to admit I'm pretty happy, although there is a selfish side of me that wants that little bit more. Not directly in terms of money, but in time. Although if I did have more money then it could pay someone to do things that I'd otherwise do myself, leaving me more time for the things I enjoy. But on the other hand I wouldn't want to give up the satisfaction I'd get from doing the job myself, so the only way it would work is if I had enough money not to have to earn a living, then I'd be able to work on vehicles/house/land etc.

I wonder whether I should spend as much time on the internet (a few forums mainly), which would free up more time. But it's something I enjoy...
Image Image Image Image