General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Re: Politicians

Post by Fish_Botherer » 19 Nov 2010

He's not too wrong, in some ways, but it certainly didn't fit the government spin.

Funnily enough, the last time he was in the news was his review of the Health and Safety Law which we all love and cherish so much http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11550281

If he'd qualified the "so-called recession" comment by saying it was a correction for the "so-called boom", would he have got away with it?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 19 Nov 2010

:) No he wouldn't. What he has done is highlight the fact that the better off are even better off, like big mortgages with low rates mean big savings. And the worse off are even worse off,
because rents have risen in a rising market and so has VAT.
Basically he has made the statement I made at the start of this, but in a very public way of course. We are all in this together...but some of us are further in it than others :wink:

Not exactly the spin and bullshit they would try to sell us 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 20 Nov 2010

Too right!

Doc, you've made me realise I haven't owned a TV in about fifteen years :) I do watch other people's sometimes, but these days it just seems to be wall-to-wall adverts for stuff I couldn't imagine wanting or being able to afford :roll: iplayer I love you (though not as much as before).

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 20 Nov 2010

Well I agree up to a point. I have cable after switching to Virgin for phone B band and tv and although there are a lot of channels, most of it is shit.
There are, though,some small programmes, on house renovation, building a narrow boat, generally on the history of how stuff works etc., that i wouldn't have seen.

If you want a TV, I have a 26" ordinary tv, with a set top box, that you are quite welcome to as it is only gathering dust in the workshop. Well it would be if it wasn't in a plastic bag. :)

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 22 Nov 2010

That's very kind Phil, thanks. But I'd prefer to maintain my righteous indignation :wink:

I'm having a bit of a fight tonight with this laptop I've borrowed. It was mind bogglingly slow, but I've just deleted loads of tosh and malware and it's a fair bit better. Poxy Vista. I want my Linux back :cry: [rage]

I decided to get myself up to scratch today - even enrolled on an OU course!! I'm about half way through a degree, but just took a gap year :lol: When I took a gap year as a younger man I spent it trying to transcend the bonds of what we call reality... [argh]

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Nov 2010

:)
I spent it trying to transcend the bonds of what we call reality...
I did that too.....by sticking to ordinary tobacco.

:( I never had a gap year. Started work at 15...., retired at 65. I suppose I'm having my gap years altogether now. Gap sounds much better than....err...final :(

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Nov 2010

Philhod wrote:I did that too.....by sticking to ordinary tobacco.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 23 Nov 2010

Philhod wrote: I did that too.....by sticking to ordinary tobacco.

(

...pah, that's just the chaser :wink:

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 23 Nov 2010

:lol: Smoked a joint ONCE. It did absolutely fuck all for me. So, I've stuck to alcofrolics ever since :wink:

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 23 Nov 2010

Cannabis gives me the BLUE MEANIES.
Real balls out paranoia ( I mean hiding behind the compost heap down the bottom of the garden).
My brain is fucked up enough as it is thanks.
Mind you - try nicotine patches left on at night for REALLY random dreams.....
Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 24 Nov 2010

I have random dreams without help!
Tried the herb twice. First time I had a "whitey" and threw up. Was told that always happens the first time and i should try again.
I did, went white, sweaty, threw up and felt like shite for days, never touched it again.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 24 Nov 2010

^ Yup both the above are true. I don't smoke very often now, constantly giggling and asking where the nearest chippy is just doesn't cut the mustard.

I really don't like booze though. Well, I like the first few (in fact the first couple seem to provide the answer to the meaning of life), but after that the glass is definitely half-full. And hangovers? Disgusting!

The trouble is these days that it's all skunk - some of that stuff is just too strong to be a pleasure; it's more like a test of mental strength!

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 28 Nov 2010

Philhod wrote::x How is it politicians of any hue, always manage to show their true ineptitude when making off the cuff remarks.
We get a royal wedding announced. What does Cameron say?
OO a royal wedding! That will really bring the country together...................Really?
The man actually believes this!!!!? What a knob!
The rest of them will not be far behind. Just intent on trying to ingratiate themselves.
We're all tightening belts but let's splash out on a huge knees up for the rich and powerful.
Oh! I'm sorry. I must remember, we're all in this together. :twisted: Major oxygen thieves.
As potentially the only royalist on here I'll chuck my two pence worth in: the country will actually take far more money in than spend due to tourism for this event alone.

I can't say it will bring all the country together but it will certainly unite a hell of a lot of people and I personally believe it's something to rejoice in.
They (royal family) cost approximately 59p per person per year and I'm more than happy to pay that, especially considering they again bring far much more than that into the country in tourism and what have you. Also out of a choice between the royal family or another faceless fucking Republic with one twat in charge of the lot I'll take the royals everytime.

I tell you what DOES piss me off about this bunch of shit houses in charge and that's propping up Ireland: Why the holy fuck are we helping them out when 1) they got themselves into their own mess 2) they always seem to be in a hurry to slate England and Britain and tell us how much they hate us and 3) we're cutting back on everything going to support ourselves?

I wouldn't give them a fucking penny if I had my way and I'm not arsed about any trade between us either.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Nov 2010

:) Well I grow me own spuds anyway. :lol:

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 28 Nov 2010

No I agree wih you Billy, despite peoples opinions of the Royals they do generate an enormous amount of tourism for this counntry and a Royal wedding will do just that.

I bet there are not many street parties like there were with the Silver Jubilee or Chaz and Di's wedding though. Im tempted to try though - shove the trestle table up in the middle of the B5257 with some trifle and things on sticks and see what happens!!!!
Image Image Image

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 28 Nov 2010

I don't see how the amount of money our Royalty generate from tourism can be quantified? It's like trying to disprove a negative. I'm sure the tourists would still come to see all the other stuff too - France doesn't do too bad out of tourism despite the bloody deeds of Madame La Guillotine. Not that I'd wish harm upon any of them, I'd just like to feel confident that they were paying the going rate to England for their accommodation.

I just find the whole Establishment thing to be elitist and a bit sicky. Everyone should have the same chances to fail or succeed.

Dunno about the Ireland thing either. England turned it's back once before during the potato famine, it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do again. Plus Osbourne himself said that we export, I think I remember, some £13 billion worth of goods to them yearly, so their economic well-being is important to us too.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:) So we are actually buying it back so to speak......,but err not actually getting it :lol:

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

I think you have more support than you think Billy. I got a frostyish reception once before when I suggested doing away with the establishment, in all it's forms.
Not that I'm surprised really. Most of our basic views of the world are implanted in our upbringing.
I was brought up by my grandparents for the first 7 years, my grandad was an educated pit man and taught me a lot of values.
This from the point of view of having absolutely nothing, but at least we had clothes and food and a roof over our heads....just about. :)
When he died he had worked all his life and ended up with nothing but no debts. Now I agree with Doc to some extent 60 years on we have all improved our lot but not without a real struggle to get a few extra crumbs of these bastards, between 1960 and 1980.
I will also leave this coil with no debts but neither will i have much to leave. For in a capitalist society, if you aint got no capital, your here just to provide more of it for they that have it. simples!!! :x

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 28 Nov 2010

I'm no Royalist, but I do think in the greater scheme of things they are worth the money.
The wedding thing will more than pay for itself if the Yanks keep buying all this wedding related tat at the current speed anyway.

As for Ireland, 6% of UK PLC export goes there, not a vast amount really, but, since rather a lot of British banking is tied up over there, and indeed since we own 2 of the big banks that have lots of cash tied up over there I think it is in balance better to help out now in the hope of seeing the major loan repaid at a higher percentage interest than UK PLC is paying to cover it, hence, if Irelnad do pay it back we will make a profit from it, and more over, if we dont do anything and Ireland goes belly up, thats many billions more lost in what our state funded banks have owing already.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Madcav
Site Admin

Post by Madcav » 28 Nov 2010

Scarecrow wrote:I don't see how the amount of money our Royalty generate from tourism can be quantified? It's like trying to disprove a negative. I'm sure the tourists would still come to see all the other stuff too - France doesn't do too bad out of tourism despite the bloody deeds of Madame La Guillotine. Not that I'd wish harm upon any of them, I'd just like to feel confident that they were paying the going rate to England for their accommodation.

I just find the whole Establishment thing to be elitist and a bit sicky. Everyone should have the same chances to fail or succeed.

Dunno about the Ireland thing either. England turned it's back once before during the potato famine, it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do again. Plus Osbourne himself said that we export, I think I remember, some £13 billion worth of goods to them yearly, so their economic well-being is important to us too.
Because a hell of a lot of tourists come here because of the royal family and then there's the revenue from memorabilia and what not. Without that there would be a considerable amount less revenue and tax coming in, once again far more than we pay towards them.

Tbh as far as our deeds to the world in previous years I'm pretty sure we've done a lot worse than not prop up Ireland when they had a bad year for the potatoes. Fuck 'em, let the rest of Europe/the E.U bail them out.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain. MmmmK?"

Buy a car off me you bastards.