BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Help!

Post by docchevron132 » 18 Dec 2010

Flat tyres you'll get on any age car mate!

I have several spare diesel speedo heads aswell.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 18 Dec 2010

I've got quite a few flat tyres about if you want any more :) [coat]
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 20 Dec 2010

Well... I had a long conversation with my dad the other night and the decision is for the BX to go.

For the first time in my life I actually have to depend on my car to get to work, and I just don't trust the BX any more. Although it's been reliable for most of the time I've had it, it is 20 years old with 170,000 miles under the wheels and apart from the problems I've had over the last month, it is starting to feel rather tired.

I'm going to present it for MoT and see what happens: if it can be made to pass cheaply I'll make an attempt to sell it, otherwise I hope someone on here will take it for free: there are plenty of useful parts on it, or someone might want to have it as a semi-retired "classic car" and run it at weekends rather than commuting 20 miles every day in the poor old thing.

Dad's going to lend me some money for something newish and reliable, so we're looking for something cheap to run and insure in the £1500-£3000 range. We're thinking Xsara, Focus, Fabia, Civic or Jazz and there seems to be plenty of choice in that price range.

I'll be sad to say goodbye to the blue box, but it's time to put my sensible head on for a change!
Cheers,
Stu

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 20 Dec 2010

:( sad day..

Although, from the choice there I'd be tempted, as much as I hate to say it, by the Fukus.
Easy to work on (bar doing a clutch), cheapish bits and plentiful.
They also aint too bad to drive.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 20 Dec 2010

A shame, but if you don't get enjoyment from tinkering/mending, and the only realistic alternative is to pay garage rates then I can see your point entirely.
Makes me slightly worried that something major is going to go on mine - I'm doing 50 miles a day and although it seems in the best mechanical condition it's been since I bought it, I'm probably due a mechanical failure soon...
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Dec 2010

yeah, but then major failures happen on brand new cars aswell mate.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 21 Dec 2010

I had a ride in my mothers 58 plate Fraud feaces, and straight away I thought to myself how awefull the ride quality was...
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

stu
Established

Post by stu » 21 Dec 2010

smiffy wrote:I had a ride in my mothers 58 plate Fraud feaces, and straight away I thought to myself how awefull the ride quality was...
Whatever I end up with, the ride won't be as good as an old Cit. Such a shame they stopped using hydraulics on the mid-sized cars, if the Xsara had hydraulics there'd be no contest!
Cheers,
Stu

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 21 Dec 2010

Tell you what I used to be impressed with the ride of: my dad's old MK1 Mondeo 2.0 GLX.

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 21 Dec 2010

Way2go wrote:opposing the field and eddy currents of the rotating magnets
What rotating magnets? A BX speedo head is all mechanical isn't it?
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Dec 2010

no mate, they use magnets to vreate eddy currents to move the needle, it's a magnet on a spring.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Dec 2010

:lol: :lol: Hence the wild wobbles betimes.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 22 Dec 2010

docchevron132 wrote:no mate, they use magnets to vreate eddy currents to move the needle, it's a magnet on a spring.
That's interesting, I thought the faster the magnet, the more pull on a disc, the more the needle moves which is why the overread at low speeds but under read at high speeds! I thought eddy current ones were too modern for the BX!!!!

Talking of modern cars vs older cars the BX is awesome in the snow!!! All the german pices of crap were getting stuck, as were the fords (but not as bad). the vauxhalls seemed pretty good actually. This bloke was stuck as fuck in his Skoda (VW/AUDI) and tried for 20 mins to get out, trying to clear the snow, more wheel spin etc. With each wheel spin his car slid slightly towards mine, so I thought fuck this, I'm off. The BX got out no wheel spin, no problem 8) 8) 8) 8)

Couldn't be arsed to help him! :mrgreen:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 22 Dec 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:Talking of modern cars vs older cars the BX is awesome in the snow!!!
Couldn't agree more, the Fukus is hopeless, manageble but not a touch on the BX, and there isn't much in the tyre width.
ImageImage

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 22 Dec 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:
docchevron132 wrote:no mate, they use magnets to vreate eddy currents to move the needle, it's a magnet on a spring.
That's interesting, I thought the faster the magnet, the more pull on a disc, the more the needle moves which is why the overread at low speeds but under read at high speeds! I thought eddy current ones were too modern for the BX!!!!
No, it's the Eddy Currents that do the work and the BX speedo is not much changed since your moggy minor unit. If you think about it, if the disc was directly magnetic then as you move off at crawling pace the magnetic coupling would cause the needle to oscilate from 0 to top until you picked up enough speed for the coupling to slip.

An eddy-current tachometer (Figure 1) uses the interaction of the magnetic fields generated by a permanent magnet and a rotor, whose speed of rotation is proportional to the eddy currents generated. The currents tend to deflect a disk, which is mounted on the shaft and restrained by a spring, through a certain angle. The deflection of the disk, which is rigidly connected to a pointer, is indicated on a dial.

Figure 1. Eddy-current tachometer: (1) permanent magnet, (2) rotor, (3) shaft with pointer, (4) spring

On a BX the magnet is less chunky and the disc has cupped edges but the principle is still the same. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 22 Dec 2010

/\ Well I'll be! So why the fuck does it wobble like the jowels of Vanessa Feltz! :x
Couldn't agree more, the Fukus is hopeless, manageble but not a touch on the BX, and there isn't much in the tyre width.
But why then, weight? I'd thought these VAG cars would be heavier than the BX 'per axle' :? As would most modern motors I'd of thought
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

stu
Established

Post by stu » 23 Dec 2010

I spent today punting about in an '05 Fiesta, which has put me right off any sort of Ford. Dreadful little car.

However... driving something in decent condition really did bring it home how tired my BX has become! No weird noises or rattles, it went in a straight line under acceleration and braking, all the knobs and levers did what they were supposed to do... Very reassuring, and I am looking forward to getting something younger.

I'm thinking Xsara... such a shame they ruined the looks on the facelift model.
Cheers,
Stu

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 23 Dec 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:/\ Well I'll be! So why the fuck does it wobble like the jowels of Vanessa Feltz! :x
The wobble seems to be due to wear and dryness on the input bearing, gearing and pawls connected to the odometer and trip. A bit of sparing lubrication here was what stopped mine from making a noise and returned the needle to smooth indication. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto

stu
Established

Post by stu » 01 Jan 2011

Those of you on Facebook will know this already, I'm a bit behind on here because I'm not at home much at the moment but I can access FB from my phone!

The BX is provisionally sold to someone from work, who's coming to pick it up tomorrow. He wants a fixer-upper so hopefully it will live!

I was planning to advertise it here and BXC too but I just happened to place the ad at work first. It makes sense to sell it locally anyway, you guys are all a bit further away and would have had to get it transported which is not cheap.

In its place I've bought a 52 plate Xsara 1.6 16v with a mere 60,000 miles on it. It's a really good spec, automatic everything, air con, the works.

Only minor problem is (and you'll laugh at this): the blower doesn't work properly...
Cheers,
Stu

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 01 Jan 2011

Shame to see you not in a proper citroen anymore stu, do you still have the old rover secreted away? Will you not enjoy working on that eventually?

I have to say that ive been in a similar situation recently where ALL my cars have gone wrong. The BX was dicking me about all mightily until i found it had the wrong HP pump fitted, then i just had to get the right parts then fit them in -5 snowy conditions, but its sorted now. Its as you say a 20 year old car, id rather get some enjoyment from what i drive and new cars dont give you that, but we all face different economic and realities :)

One thing im worried about, did you get the proviso from the guy at your work thats having it he will offer it you or here maybe if he should come to sell it? The more and more i see it recently ive got a fervent dislike of cars being sold outside their 'scene' as it were, as unfortunatly it seems thats how cars dissapear forever. fingers crossed yours wont.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!