BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Help!

Post by Philhod » 01 Jan 2011

:D I drove home this morning, in a blizzard at 3 am, in my daughters little 1200 Opel Agila. Part scraped roads with ice patches and drifts across and it never put a foot wrong.
It`s all in the tyres. She has a new set of mud and snö, with studz. Makes all the difference in the world, even when the snö at the side of the road is higher than the car.
Like I said before I`m only just over a bout of flu and have not been drinking, so was voted in as "chofer" :shock: 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 02 Jan 2011

Stinkwheel(Matt) wrote:Shame to see you not in a proper citroen anymore stu, do you still have the old rover secreted away? Will you not enjoy working on that eventually?

One thing im worried about, did you get the proviso from the guy at your work thats having it he will offer it you or here maybe if he should come to sell it? The more and more i see it recently ive got a fervent dislike of cars being sold outside their 'scene' as it were, as unfortunatly it seems thats how cars dissapear forever. fingers crossed yours wont.
Still got the Rover, but it's going to have to go as I will clearly never, ever do anything with it. It's been sitting in Mum's garage since 2001 and I last did any work on it in 2003 or thereabouts!

It is a crying shame Citroen don't use hydraulics in the smaller cars any more as then I'd have no problem at all with the Xsara. As it is, it's just a slightly boring sensible choice. I did consider a C5 but the parking is limited both here at my house and at work, so I didn't want anything that big.

My mission now is to move somewhere with a drive by the time the C6 has fallen to my price range :)

I will ask the buyer to recontact me if he loses interest, I didn't think anyone on here was interested in it but Chris Salter will definitely take it. At least that way it will stay within view!
Cheers,
Stu

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 02 Jan 2011

Which P6 did you have stu?
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

stu
Established

The BX has just driven away :(

Very sad even though I know it's the right decision. The new guy seems really together though, he's restored loads of cars in the past so I'm confident he'll return the blue box to the road. I've told him about the forum too, so I'm sure we'll keep up with the car.

Smiffy, it's a 1973 2000 SC Auto in Mexico Brown. It's yours if you want it!
Cheers,
Stu

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 02 Jan 2011

Ahhhh shame mate, have you no interest in the rover anymore or is it just all practical stuff?

Whats actually needed on it? I dont remember im afraid.

At least the BX is out your way and reliable (touches wood) xsara will do its job :)
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 02 Jan 2011

whats going on with your bx Stu ?, the guy who took it off you is already advertising it on retro rides so obviously had no intention of having it as a fixer upper as you thought.
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

stu
Established

If I won the lottery I'd get the Rover restored so that I can drive it again! I love owning and driving old cars, just no interest in working on them and not enough money to pay someone else to do it.

I don't even know what it needs any more... a fair amount of welding, certainly, and as it's been standing for so long I'd want to replace all the rubber components, seals, hoses and so on. The interior's shabby at best, and the steering and suspension will want sorting too. It ran all right the last time I ran it though!
Cheers,
Stu

stu
Established

mickey taker wrote:whats going on with your bx Stu ?, the guy who took it off you is already advertising it on retro rides so obviously had no intention of having it as a fixer upper as you thought.
That makes me very sad :(

That's even the advert that I posted at work, copy-and-pasted...
Cheers,
Stu

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 02 Jan 2011

had a p.m. from the seller on retro rides this is what he said

The BX was Stuart's old one.
He knew it wasn't going to pass an MOT without spending loads so decided to get rid and buy another.
I bought it off him hoping it would be an easy fix - sadly, having spent an hour in my mate's workshop this morning, it was clear that the list of things it needs for an MOT is even longer than Stuart and I thought so I've passed it on to a mate.
The car might be in it's last days (plan is to use it until the MOT runs out in 2 weeks) but at least most of the bits will find their way onto another old BX.

Read more: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... z19uhKQ9gH
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 03 Jan 2011

Hm...

I don't even know what it needs for an MoT, but he's a cheeky bugger trying to sell it for £150 when he knows I paid £195 for it 2.5 years and 35,000 miles ago!

Especially when he gave me £20 for it...
Cheers,
Stu

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 03 Jan 2011

Cunt. When I'd initially read the advert I'd thought he was selling it for you, but was slightly confused. 20 quid though, that's taking the piss big time.
Commiserations mate, and at least I hope your car worries are over. I'd seriously have a word with this 'mate' and ask why he's trying to profit from your generosity. You could have got a lot more than that for scrap, yet you sold it for a token amount to what you understood to be a good home.
Image Image Image Image

stu
Established

Post by stu » 03 Jan 2011

Mar speaks truth.

I cocked up, I admit it - I should have offered it here and BXC first, but I genuinely didn't think anyone would be interested and I posted the ad at work first purely because I was bored on a long and quiet Christmastime shift! And see what happens.

I was very sad to see that, but it's out of my hands now! Time to start looking forward to picking the new one up on Wednesday.
Cheers,
Stu

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 03 Jan 2011

Ahhh its not your fault stu, its a shame but i think we can all say that we've been screwed over when supposedly doing someone a favour with regard to cars.

At least its not causing you headaches now.
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Jan 2011

I've been screwed over countless times with cars and bits..

Shame, but yeah, life goes on, if I'd had it, and I would have, TBH, I'd most likely have bunged it in for a ticket, and if it failed dismally I'd most likely have scrapped it anyway really.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 04 Jan 2011

Just to clarify, I didn't think that Mat was accusing me of having cocked up - I'm just annoyed with myself about it!

It probably would have failed dismally at that.
Cheers,
Stu

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

I dunno mate, I've put cars in for test that I was sure would piss through, and promptley failed on some epic shir, and other cars I would have bet my pension on failing that passed.. MoT testers are a funny breed of crooks.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 04 Jan 2011

well the guy is either a blatant liar or must be psychic,
( I know which I think it is )

he advertised it for sale a full day before his mate and he checked it over and decided it wasnt viable for mot'ing.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

yes, bit of a shiester really, shame, but thats life sometimes.
At least Stu has wheels which will hopefully be more reliable for him.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Jan 2011

:( Yeah, it`s a shame really. Unless you have bottomless pockets or a bunch of skills and the interest, you can`t really play in this game. Not really a drivers only sport.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 05 Jan 2011

Philhod wrote::( Yeah, it`s a shame really. Unless you have bottomless pockets or a bunch of skills and the interest, you can`t really play in this game. Not really a drivers only sport.
Yep, and it's only taken me 12 years of driving shite to learn this!
Cheers,
Stu