BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Turbo advice please

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Dec 2010

two avenues of advice required please:

Shaft play (no, not a kind of foreplay). Bought (vauxhall) turbo off ebay, bloke says no play whatsoever, turns out to be bolx as there is definitely play - no doubt about it. Whilst I'll contest this, assuming I had a brand new turbo in my hands, I'm assuming there would be 'some' play - to allow oil between the shaft and the bush (snigger....)

Other question relates to size of housing apertures i.e. the inlet and outlet spigots on the apertures. This donor turbo has smaller appertures all round.

A smaller aperture on the hot side where it bolts to the manifold. This will provide more restriction and thus back pressure and so will have a choking effect......correct?

Both cold side apertures are smaller also, which will provide (slightly) less lag but will surely be further restrictive at higher revs...............also correct?

Please advise/embelish

arse flaps :cry:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Turbo advice please

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Dec 2010

There will be "some" play, even in a brand new one yes, but it's a tiny tiny amount, like, varely perceptable.

As for the rest, yes, you iz correKt!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Dec 2010

pissing dog flaps :evil:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Dec 2010

it'll most likely still spin just fine though dude, I'll bet most turbo's in most BX's have a fair amount of lift in the spindle by now!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 31 Dec 2010

:) Funnily enough, apart from a bit of vane damage at the drive side, that one you gave me was virtually play free. I haven`t done anything drastic to it yet and I can repair any vanes and re build it, if you want it back, me welsh mate.

Are the Griffin vanes flat or do they change angle, makes a difference as to the impedence of the gas flow at low revs.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Dec 2010

You're probably right Doc, the listing said "No Play whatsoever" and it's plainly untrue. Still, I got it for £40 so I musn't grumble, it's just fucking annoying. I'm in two minds whether to buy a refurb kit, I've seen them for about £30, non genuine garret ones though.

As for the smaller appertures, well that's my fault as I assumed they would be the same as the Xantia one.

The Griffin one has slightly curved blades, but it's not a VNT if that's what you mean by changing angle Phil. That's on the cold side. The hot side has a sort of twisted shape, a bit like an aeroplane prop.

Ideally, I wanted something a tad bigger than the one that came off the Xantia; the standard setup gives it all down low. With max torque at 2000 rpm, I rekon that's enough to get things going rather nicely in the (lighter) BX and then let the turbo take over at about 2500 and keep going to 4000, rather than peter out by 3500.

Anyway, it's all to a budget, so beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure it'll be fine

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Jan 2011

I did mean dual angle Bandit. The one you describe is standard lo blo kit and shouldn´t present any problems.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 01 Jan 2011

When I think about it, the turbo came of a 2.2 ltr 120 BHP engine, so I can't really foresee a problem achieving near the same. I'm not going mahoosive! I'm just surprised at how much smaller the apertures are, as for what is basically the same turbo, you may as well increase it's potential.

Anyway, looking forward to the results. Should be interesting project [pray]