General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Vanny
Site Admin

The time is now

Post by Vanny » 01 Jan 2011

Enough is enough, time to get the shed going again, i will likely need some support, are you with me?

First up i need an alternator, its on order, no problems there.

Then i need a double ended bolt, M8 thread one side of the bolt, M10 the other, now where to you suppose i might find that?
ImageImage

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Re: The time is now

Post by Father Ted » 01 Jan 2011

Vanny wrote: M8 thread one side of the bolt, M10 the other, now where to you suppose i might find that?
Big lump of steel & lathe?
Image Image Image

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 01 Jan 2011

Might be able to help with that Vanny, think theres one like that in the shed, i will rummage tomorrow
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 01 Jan 2011

Vanny wrote:double ended bolt, M8 thread one side of the bolt, M10 the other
Is that not the profile of the gearbox top mount bolt (beneath the battery tray)?

Alternatively, get an M10 bolt (or length of stud), carefully file off the thread of the part you need M8 then you should be spot on to run an M8 Die down it. (we used to do it to make exhaust manifold bolts on Renault Premium HGV's, cheaper than paying £8 each for the m8/m6's).
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 01 Jan 2011

why does a shed need an alternator? Surely mains supply would be more practical?

Whats the bolt for Vanster? If it's a spec Cit bolt I'll most likely have one.
and yes, I'm in, but I'm a bit busy for the next couple of months really. 9 MoT's to do before the end of Feb, lots to do to Phoenix, a bit of work on Annette's car etc etc..
thereafter though, assuming you are actually meaning Jazz, then yes, I'll gladly come help.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Jan 2011

jayw wrote:Alternatively, get an M10 bolt (or length of stud), carefully file off the thread of the part you need M8
Or carefully clamp the M10 section in a drill chuck, hold drill in vice running at an appropriate speed and hey presto, your very own lathe. For removal of more material you can use an angle grinder - not exactly precision engineering and something that might be frowned upon by H&S but it works...
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Jan 2011

Or alternatively tack two bolts together 8)

Not sure of availability Jan, Vanny, but other than that just holler if you need a lift with owt.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 04 Jan 2011

details details, now that i'm home and not on my phone.

Yes obviously not for the GARAGE but for the red peril/jesus/jazz.

Bidding on an alternator on the bay of death so hopefully that will solve that problem.

The bolt is for the AC idler pulley for the valver. To my knowledge it is a bolt only fitted on the BX16v (might be on other models mind), but either way it is NOT available from citroen, and the nice man at Citroen Coventry spent a week trying to source one from Cit UK and Cit FR.

details for the actual bolt are;

Idler end, M8x45mm
Engine end, M10x30mm

I'm not happy with bolting two bolts together as the nut is effectively a half nut and also acts as a spacer to keep the idler the right distance from the block. As it is i think it will need either some shims or careful grindy grindy to get the thickness of the bolt correct.

With these two parts (alternator and idler bolt) then i should be able to setup the AC pump and assorted lovely gubbins, with that in i can fit the rest of the silicon pipes and finally put the engine back together (i say engine, i mean the inlet manifold), then fire her up and get her out of the garage perhaps?
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Jan 2011

ahhh, I see. Aint got one any of them!
Can you not do away with the idler altogether?
I plan to, since I dont have one.

Yes, it is rather time Jazz went again. I have a stock non AC alternator that works if it helps?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 04 Jan 2011

needs to be 70amp+ diesel or petrol for the alternator. And having lined up the five i already have that are all knackered, i just want to fit and forget!

On the idler side of things, i want to keep it as simple and straight forward as possible, but i think the long run is a little too long so i need something in there. I'll have a go at making up a bolt, perhaps tomorrow, assuming i dont get in too late.
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Jan 2011

hmmm, I honestly dont know what alternators I have instock anymore!
I'll have a looksee.

Sadly, cant help with bolt, but I'll lend a hand building the car up as and when I can if that helps.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 06 Jan 2011

ALWAYS appreciated matey.
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Jan 2011

Always a pleasure mate
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 06 Jan 2011

Is this the bolt with a LH thread on the M8 end, that secures the bearing cone (similar to bike bearing cone) and carries the idler?
Bolt Secures alternator like...?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 06 Jan 2011

whats a bearing cone?
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 06 Jan 2011

Taper bearing?

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Jan 2011

Using a bike axle as an example, it's the hardened part that (like a nut) is threaded and winds in/out of the axle/hub, but also has a convex (or is it concave - I can never remember....) face that forms the outer half of the bearing surface for the ball bearings to bear against.

Don't think I've described it that well but the setup on the TZD was similar. I'm going from a slightly sketchy memory now, but the bolt I think you're referring to replaced the standard 'through' bolt on the bottom of the alternator (the pivot essentially - for tensioning of alt belt).

At a guess, it had an M8 threaded section sticking out from where the head of the normal bolt is, only it's a left hand thread. I found out the hard way :x The 'nut' that fitted onto this thread was the bearing cone, with a hex head allen key styleee job on the outside end and the bearing surface on the inner.

I'm guessing there was another half to this bearing cone that was t'other side. However, I wouldn't for the life of me know where that half is, and I broke the other half trying to remove it (not knowing it was LH thread). I do however have the pulley itself and the bolt, both of which you are welcome to (I saw the pulley recently but not sure where the bolt it!)

To make it work, you'd have to press a sealed bearing into the pulley and find a 'left handed nut' to secure it. IMO, the original setup is really weak and I rekon you'd be better off attempting to use a Xantia style tensioner that bolts to the sump.

All that is based on the TZD setup, I have no idea what similarities the 16v set-up has
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Bearing cone: like wot this is, except this one is buggered!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 07 Jan 2011

8) That would be the race then

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Race is the cage that holds all the bearings (be they ball or needle roller etc) isn't it? As opposed to the bearing surface that they mate upon............

you back in blighty now?