BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

tired wipers

Post by Bx Bandit » 14 Jan 2011

again on the XM, the windscreen wipers get slower and slower until they stop. This takes about 5 mins with plenty of rain, so there ain't no real strain. Doesn't happen on intermittent.

Seems then to be related to work done by motor = getting hot????

They is ok next morning and the pattern is repeatable
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: tired wipers

Post by docchevron132 » 14 Jan 2011

yeah, mine did the same, stripped the motor and discovered not only was the grease in the gearbox like concrete but the motor was burnt to hell and back.

I did fit a shiney new one, sadly, I never removed it from the car when I scrapped it
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

So a motor rebuild should do the job you rekon? plus a bit of grease for the monkey?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 14 Jan 2011

choose yer grease carefully and don't overdo it Bandit. some wax based greases go rock solid and lithium/copper based are not suitable for electrikery,
Silicone based are waterproof and won't go hard so keep it away from yer knob :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

ooooooooh Phil, a waterproof lube did you say? Very handy here in s***h Rainy! Right then, motor stripdown it is.................after I've fixed the very fucked exhaust. I hate exhausts :evil:

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 14 Jan 2011

Bx Bandit wrote:ooooooooh Phil, a waterproof lube did you say?
KY jelly?
Or is that water based lube?
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 15 Jan 2011

:lol: I couldn't possibly care to comment. 8)

There are a number of exhaust manufacturers who are now selling the materials, stainless sheet, perforated tube, and stock tube, now. Fiberglass stuffing you can get anywhere.
If you get some stainless wire and a little Argon, you can re manufacture your rusty bitz as they need replacing and buy no more.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 15 Jan 2011

[chin] That's interesting Phil hmmm It's a bit of a long story but there are 1 cat and 3 boxes, the intermediate 2 come as one part, joined by a lenght of pipe with flanges either end for the cat and final box. Twas the joint from penultimate box to last box that failed.
Apart from Cit (who wanted £400 for these two metal boxes cojoined by a bit of pipe), all other suppliers have split this section into two. Fair enough says I, just need to chop the old part in two at the appropriate place and job done............ yeah right :evil:
Not only was the new part bent on the fer-lange, but I had to lob nearly 2 inches off to get it to fit :evil:
Also, the fer-lange on the cat has 2/3rds gone, so it doesn't self support as it should and the fucker keeps dropping on the cross member and rattling like a tatty old XM with a fucked exhaust!
To make matters worse, I have subsequently found the part available as Cit designed it (2 boxes cojoined etc) for only £16 more than wot I paid for this crappy single box. Double :evil:
I have plan A which I shall execute today, failing that, it's a welding cut'n'shut job with the Xantia cat which has a good fer-lange.
That is why I hate exhausts...............

Why you say stainless wire anyways Phil?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:lol: :lol: :lol: Problems...problems.

Well if you are using stainless material (which is what I was describing) you ...err...have to really.
The point of using stainless (apart from it lasting forever) is, it's a lot thinner, so once you have made your ends and welded the inner perforated and outer pipes to position, it's easy to wrap the box body round it, leaving enuff room to pack it before finally closing and welding your outer skin. :wink:

Cats I buy and just weld or bolt in to match. If you need to weld close to the cat, wrap it in wet rags to keep the heat spread down.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

oh I see what you mean now mate - penny dropped.

As it happened, my bodge worked and the XM is all nice and quiet again now, with no rattly exhaust 8)

Talking of XM, this is rather nice, more Doc's dream XM spec, except in black - but black is fucking cool I wish i could

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 15 Jan 2011

A rather nice green XM has been offered to me, which I want, badly. Depending on shifting various bits of crap and justifying it to myself I probably will have one!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

See, triton green don't do it for me. It does on a BX, but not on an XM. This black one is seriously tempting..............I mean, it's a fucking kewl motah

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 15 Jan 2011

this is true, and it has the all important turbo guage, but the green one is known!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:) It also has the rising draught screen that comes up when the back is opened. I too prefer the triton green on any car, defo my favorite.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 16 Jan 2011

Anyways Doc, what be this XM dude?

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Jan 2011

well, it's big Citroen built in limited numbers in the late 80's to mid 90's!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 17 Jan 2011

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Twat!! :lol:

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Jan 2011

you fucking ass! You know what's I mean you...........you................you...........ahh fuck it

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Jan 2011

not sure the vendor wants me to say much since it was done via PM and that..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Jan 2011

You dark mysterious horse. You be sucking some sure assed cock you cock meister! Get it dude, get it come what may (by the way, what the fuck does 'come what may' actually mean ? :o ) Get it you tart!