Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Oil Change

Post by Philhod » 21 Feb 2011

[chin] Hmmm but is it any better than my can with a hole cut in the side, which was free with the oil it came in :mrgreen:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 21 Feb 2011

It's bigger (which is ALWAYS better) :wink:

And that's the point - I need to be able to drain at least 7 litres, which rules out a oil can with a hole cut in it, and I thought if I'm going to spend money on something I might as well get something that will catch the sump plug and oil filter when the bastard red hot oil runs up my sleeve and causes me to drop whatever it is I'm holding!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:lol: Only winding you up. I posted before saying buy something that only holds 5 L :)

Actually mine is an ancient "special offer" Duckhams can, which held six and a half liters. My Picasso only holds 5.

:lol: I must have had it 20 years.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 21 Feb 2011

Philhod wrote:Actually mine is an ancient "special offer" Duckhams can, which held six and a half liters.
Is that the yellow and blue logo on a metal can? With green oil inside? Do Duckhams still exist? I remember as a kid 'helping' my Dad change the oil, and pouring in the clean green stuff was the highlight for me!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

No, it was the later turquoise plastic one, still had the green duckhams QXR in it.

The X was a special additive that made it a lot more clingy without increasing the viscosity, making it the oil of choice for older engines.

I have an idea it may still be available, though I remember them being taken over by Mobil I think. Then, what was a high quality cheaper oil, suddenly became expensive.

Not sure what happened to it really, as I changed to diesel about the same time but could still get Duckhams D for them.