General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

insulating a shed

Post by mickey taker » 21 Jan 2011

what ideas do you guys use for insulating a shed or workshop ,

I was thinking of a membrane / moisture block first then maybe the big polystyrene blocks.

the bracing on the shed is 70mm and the polystyrene blocks are 50 mm so there would still be some air circulation space.

and would council recycling bags pinned to the bracing make a suitable membrane ( recycling at its beat ) or do I need something thicker.

last question for the moment

would there be any advantage to enclosing the polystyrene in plastic ( ie if using recycling bags putting the polystyrene inside the bag ) or do's the polystyrene need to breathe.
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: insulating a shed

Post by Philhod » 21 Jan 2011

My err shed is made from thermalite blocks not wood, but the difference is not really relevant.
The roof part is the same. My roof spars are 100 mill and as you say the panels are 50.
I didn't bother with membranes, you only really need those for underfloor, but then I had roofing felt in place. I should use your plastic bags against the walls, tape will do to hold it in place, while you fit the panels. push the panels right against your plastic leaving as little gap as possible, again use tape to temporarily hold these in place.
Once in, I used a pile of 1/2" 1/4 beading I had ( but any small section will do) to permanently hold the panels in, you don't need to go all round, a couple down most of each side will do.
If ypu drill the beading or whatever with a very small drill then push panel pins through, it makes it a lot easier to fit them when you're holdin wood, pushing panel up and hammering all at once :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 22 Jan 2011

I dont insulate, since A: until the last few weeks we had a roof on stilts, and B: I'm a man and therefore dont need insulation!
brrr, it's cold in here.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 22 Jan 2011

What's your roof made of Suggs? You going to insulate that too? Are you going to heat the shed?

I'm not convinced of the need for plastic bags tbh, why you thinking of using them?

Also, you mention leaving a gap for air circulation, but it sounds like the gap will be just that i.e. a sealed gap, so in other words you'd get no circulation. Not that that's a problem I don't think, and the trapped air will add to your insulation!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 22 Jan 2011

bin bag idea ditched as they are biodegradable doh !!!
the moisture barrier idea was to stop damp getting to the polystyrene blocks as no shed is totally damp proof .

the shed is for my son ( 16 yearold) to have as a bedroom / lounge as he wants a bit more independence
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Jan 2011

Instead of placci bags then, if it's wood, paint the inside first with a good quality fence paint.
Then if you want to be ultra damp proof paint over that with urethane then continue as before.
once the insulation is in you could dry line it with plasterboard, then he can draw all over it to personalise it. :P
If it has a window, fitting a removable sheet of clear plastic say 3 mil thick, fitted into a frame on the outside, should do the same as double glazing.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 22 Jan 2011

Oh I see what you mean Mick. Are you using that polystyrene with the aluminium sheet reflective on? Once it's in place, you could use a sealant to seal round the edges, or even that expanding foam stuff?

You'll want to do the roof though as well, but having said all that about sealing the polystyrene in, if he's actually gonna sleep in there, you'll need some form of ventilation - a bit like trickle vents on windows.

You might want to insulate and carpet the floor. If you want some, let me know as I'll be putting wood flooring down in Feb and binning the carpet.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 22 Jan 2011

thanks guys,

used damp proof course membrane stapled to the joists as its not biodegradable , going to put membrane over the floor then those tiles you put under laminatefor insulation and sound deadening then wood effect lino on top ( its wipe clesn :D )

only got two panels left inside to do then the roof