General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

What are the new SORN/insurance regs?

Post by Fish_Botherer » 21 Jun 2011

Academic interest only for me as I haven't been running or keeping anything for the last 14/15 months. Haven't researched it very much (correction: not at all, really) but seems like yet another thing likely to thin out the population of 'interesting' old rolling-stock.

jayw
Part of the decor

Re: What are the new SORN/insurance regs?

Post by jayw » 21 Jun 2011

It's quite simple:

If you own a car it has to be one of 2 things:

A) Taxed and insured at all times

-or-

B) SORNed and off road.

The puposes of the new rules is to stop people driving "their mates" spare car on their own insurance extension when the car isn't insured in it's own right (which you used to be able to). Thiis is because you used to be able to own several cars in other names yet drive them all on one policy using your 3rd party extension. (a bit like owning a Cosworth in your girlfriends name yet driving it on your Fiat 126 insurance policy.

Also, it will mean (particularly aimed at "seasonal" vehicles -Mat-) that people will be more inclined to cash remaining tax back in as it will be cheaper than continuing to pay insurance for the last mont or 2 of the disc (which essentially would mean NO refund). Of course, the Gov makes the tax money back.

And there's all the fines to be generated from the new system (automatic fines of course)...

And a couple of other reasons...
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Jun 2011

Very well put my dear sir. They were going to insist it could not be sorn if it was on your drive, but I think that one fell by the wayside.
Anyway, my BX is off road in a locked, gated compound at Dek's and, thanks to the council, I have a similar set up at mine too now, with space for 2 cars as well as my garage and separate workshop. So, coming together nicely. :D
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Jun 2011

There seems to be such a big hoo haa about this but I don't see the problem.

If you want to drive the car, you need tax and insurance.
If you want to keep it off the road for a bit, then why would you keep it taxed anyway? So you redeem your tax and make it sorn.

simplz.............
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

You gotta say, the government ain't stupid, they know exactly what they're playing at...

"Continuos MOT" was never a consideration, it would be impossible to enforce such a rule as cars will always fail for things owners have no control over. However, we all have control over whether we pay for Tax and Insurance, therefor we're culpable 100% of the time AND it's relatively easy to enforce, much the same as the current automatic Tax fines, no new equipment needed as the cameras just check the MID at the same time as DVLA (tax).

The obvious difference now being that if your car fails the MOT whilst it's still taxed you can't just "lay it up" while you wait to repair it unless you either keep it insured (pump that cash through the economy + IPT) or cash the tax in (losing 10% + any incomplete month)... Win-Win for the govt.

Tits.
Almost BX-less

jayw
Part of the decor

Bx Bandit wrote:I don't see the problem
I can SEE the problems it can cause for genuine motorists, as above etc..

But I don't HAVE a problem with it as it doesn't affect me right now.

It would have last year when i was running 2 cars on the one policy (which was perfectly legal) whilst i was fixing one or the other, after all, 3rd party insurance was there (which is all that really matters)...

It's just another way of screwing that extra few quid out of the cash-strapped motorist, not all people, just the poorest that struggle to run a car as it is, it all adds up...
Almost BX-less

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 21 Jun 2011

Bx Bandit wrote:There seems to be such a big hoo haa about this but I don't see the problem.
Me neither - generally. There have been a few instances in the past where I've temporarily swapped insurance over onto another vehicle for a week or so, in order to be able to drive it, tax it and sell it. When I did that I'd never bothered cashing in the tax on my daily driver as I knew I'd be having to buy tax again soon. But now, I haven't bought and sold any cars for years; plus the amendment charges on the policy seem to be going up making it cheaper to temporarily add an extra vehicle for a couple of weeks.
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

Provided that OWNING a car remains free and it only costs money when you want to USE it I don't have a problem.

But i can't see that lasting...

Next step: Continuous Levy on vehicle OWNERSHIP... (otherwise known as an Annual Registration Fee)...
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

The obvious difference now being that if your car fails the MOT whilst it's still taxed you can't just "lay it up" while you wait to repair it unless you either keep it insured (pump that cash through the economy + IPT) or cash the tax in (losing 10% + any incomplete month)... Win-Win for the govt.
But how differently would you do it?
As in, lets say my TD fails the MOT and I can't be arsed to fix it right now, so I'll put by valver on the road.
I'd cancel (or transfer...???) my insurance and rfe-fund the road tax. Buy new road tax for 16v.

OK, yes I'd lose the TAX refunded for the rest of this month and if I have to tax the 16v immediately then I'd have to start it in June but how does the new law make any difference?

As soon as I know any of my cars are coming off the road for more than a month then it's a no brainer.

As you say Jay: what it is doing is stopping people running a Cosworth on a fiesta insurance as you described.

Wot de fuss ye Cornish Yarg?

I do however detest the extra charge for 6 months tax (was that the 10% to meant?)
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

jayw
Part of the decor

Bx Bandit wrote:I do however detest the extra charge for 6 months tax (was that the 10% to meant?)
That's the 10% premium for ONLY buying 6 months, you ALSO get charged 10% of the net refund when you cash a disc back in.

The whole thing is not aimed at road safety or law enforcement because it would do neither to those that wouldn't bother paying anyway. The only impact it will have will be to cost the poorest motorists money, albeit only a few quid at a time but it soon adds up. If the only time you notice a new rule is when it costs you money it can only be a rip-off... we certainly GAIN nothing from it.

Since the advent of ANPR (fixed & mobile) we've had the ability to identify uninsured motors, this legislation just allows them to automatically send fines out... There's a deterrent "Three weeks ago you let your insurance slip" useful, very useful...
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

That's the 10% premium for ONLY buying 6 months, you ALSO get charged 10% of the net refund when you cash a disc back in.
10% charge for cashing it in? Shit me I didn't know that!

Uninsured drivers cost us (insured drivers) £so many million per year, apparently adding approx £30 onto our premiums.

Yes, of coursed we'll see a £30 reduction in our premiums :roll:

jayw
Part of the decor

Bx Bandit wrote:Yes, of coursed we'll see a £30 reduction in our premiums
:lol:
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Jun 2011

:) Haven't you lot learned yet? It's always heads they win, tails you lose.

jayw
Part of the decor

Philhod wrote:heads they win, tails you lose.
I've been using that one on the kids for years, they still haven't worked it out :wink:
Almost BX-less

Fish_Botherer
Location: Sixty Feet up, wishing I still had a BX....but most likely bothering fish

Post by Fish_Botherer » 21 Jun 2011

Thanks - not surprised by usual 'win-win' for HMG, as Jay puts it. Won't exactly harm the insurers either (extra cross-sell), and explains why the insurers I last contacted when I considered (and rejected) the offer of a freebie are sending me emails .

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 22 Jun 2011

and rejected) the offer of a freebie
I never turn down freebies :oops:

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 22 Jun 2011

Philhod wrote:I never turn down freebies
Said the vicar...
Almost BX-less