General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

tell me about xsaras

Post by mickey taker » 29 Dec 2011

ok , what experience (if any) do any of you guys have of Xsara saloons, looking to possibly replace the golf with something er indoors will drive( I.E got power steering )
and that won't be to mad to get my son insured on ( 17 yearold learner driver ).
I know they may not be the most exciting car but lets be honest no-one really wants a saxo do they.
looking at the 5 door hatch .So are they reliable , any major problems to look for and which is the better engine 1.4 0r 1.6 ? going to post this on t'other side to see an overall (un ) balanced opinion

may go and see this to get the feel of one

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: tell me about xsaras

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Dec 2011

IMHO the only fun Xsara is the VTS, it's gt very different suspenin and goes like fucking hell.
BUT, insuring a 17 year old on it will be uber expensive..
the 14 is a sweeter engine IMHO, and aside from all but the VTS being more boring than Oliver Letwin, they are easy to work on, parts are cheap and they are pretty reliable.
I still wouldn't have one, unless it was the VTS though..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 29 Dec 2011

docchevron132 wrote:IMHO the only fun Xsara is the VTS, it's gt very different suspenin and goes like fucking hell.
+1
More refined than the ZX they replaced and a nicer place to sit, but the boggo ones lost the steering rear beam and dont handle as well on the twisty stuff. A 1.4 will be more insurance friendly but wont set the world alight. They can and do suffer with HGF if not looked after, even the pezza ones, but are straightforward to fix.
Body panels made of flattened out milk bottle tops show every minor dink and usual Froggy electrics cause fun on occasions. By and large they seem to be OK though - a million old giffers cant be wrong can they?
Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 29 Dec 2011

Already commented on the other side, but why are you thinking of getting rid of the Golf? Is it just because Julie doesn't want to drive it?
Image Image Image Image

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 29 Dec 2011

partly, was going to fit power steering to it and she would drive it then but the insurance would be to high if I added jordan to it , just weighing things up at the moment
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 29 Dec 2011

I've driven 2 or 3, but they have been HDI's. Very smooth drive agree'd boring looks but the seats are comfy on long drives. That is all! 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 29 Dec 2011

Consider a Picasso or Berlingo type MPV - insurance is much cheaper for the same size of engine because MPV drivers are "perceived" to be more careful and less likely to have accidents. The insurance for our 90BHP Xantia (2000MY) was £130 more than the same insurance for our 90BHP Berlingo (2003 MY) when we sawpped cars.
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 29 Dec 2011

My Picasso was £298. fully comp, 200 excess and protected and courtesy car but only basic legal. Also 1 claim and 1 speeding.
The pic is a great drive too, with very comfortable seats, a few electronic gremlins true, but pretty reliable for all that. 45/50 mpg is good as is £130 road tax.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 30 Dec 2011

may look at the picasso , Julies friend has a berlingo with all the extra pockets in the roof, its green , its called Kermit and Julie dosent like it although I quite like them and they are much better than the renault kangoo I used to have as a company car

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 30 Dec 2011

Good friend of mine has a 1.4 Xsara on a Y plate (facelift), the interior on his is the dark charcoal cloth and quite a pleasant and comfy place to sit. He's had it nearly 2 years and the only non-essential maintenence i've had to do to it was a new MAP sensor, other than that it's been 100% trouble free.

IF you were to go for one i would defo recommend the 1400 facelift for the cheap tax and relative economy and in all fairness it's not actually THAT boring to drive! The 1.6 obviouysly increases tax and insurance with little gain elsewhere. Diesels are gonna cost more in outlay unless it's an uber mileage shag out...

Although, good luck finding a facelift model with the top chevron of the front badge remaining... i swear the citroen pixies steal them all back :wink:
Almost BX-less

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 31 Dec 2011

tempted by this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260922959973? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but also this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200692919156? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Dec 2011

suspect the xsara will rocket at the end, but if it doesn't, could be ok..

As for the BX.. have you rung around for insurance quotes for the nipper on it? You may be shocked!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 01 Jan 2012

In the real world i'd have to go down the Xsara route, you really can't go wrong if the seller is honest. Ready to roll with tax & test.

Expect a final figure between £550 & £650 though!
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Jan 2012

I was gonna say £600 but it's a lot of miles on a 14

Kids get really daft quotes on BX's for some reason [chin]

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 01 Jan 2012

true, but then 14TU engines are easier to come by than Mars bars! and a piece of piss to fit!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance