General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Re: back in the fold

Post by mickey taker » 08 Jan 2012

its an m for meteor :D
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 11 Jan 2012

car going well , 1/2 a tank has done 185 miles of various ( mainly A road) driving
a friend is coming round to see if he can tidy up both arches and I have bought a pioneer CD head unit
and CD changer off of a friend as no one seems to have the code for the blaupunkt.
I didnt realize when I bought it that the tgs is quite basic and unlike VW , citroen dont use a standard loom that you can plug gear from a higher spec model into
I.E. theres no wiring for front fogs, electric mirrors or remote central locking ( my car dosent even have the "doors open " panel next to the coin holder , still for the money I am really pleased.
I would like to get rear headrests or even a front pair and cut the pillar down to fit and I would also like a front splitter like the one Mike P has just sold to grenman.
Other than that it will be a reasonable speaker and sub install and perhaps some alloys, not sure if I want speedlines or something a bit different ( perhaps peugeot 307 alloys )
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Jan 2012

The 93 meteor I had, as a special edition model, had remote c/ and the gti style interior a sunroof and spots.
No rear H/rests, although I did as you suggest and cut some fronts.
Leccy mirrors are just something else to go wrong and if you don't make sure your doors are shut before driving you want shagging with a ragmans trumpet :lol: :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 12 Jan 2012

I know some of the gear isnt needed,
I have a set of headrests and a twin socket tow bar coming from the other side,
I have the sunroof, monza interior and GTi/16 valve steering wheel.
I am very happy with the car for the money don't get me wrong, I would have liked the remote central locking ( handy with kids)
and the wiring to be in place for front fogs but the latter is not insurmountable

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 12 Jan 2012

thought I might as well put up some of the ebay ad pictures of the car

Its going to get a good hoover out and wash this weekend if the weather holds and then start fitting the new stereo and the sunroof visor.

heres the stereo I got for it for £40.00

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 12 Jan 2012

chuck a valver loom in and you have everything you could ever imagine.

The basic models didn't have a unified loom, but most models did, ergo a TZD has outlets for most toys.
ImageImage

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 16 Jan 2012

I have found a receipt dated after the the heater tap was repaired for Bypassing the heater :twisted: ,
looking under the bonnet though it appears to still have both pipes going through the bulkhead :shock: ... ,

so I dont know if it was reconnected when the head gasket was done the heater knob( hot/cold), only moves about a quarter way between the half hot position ( straight down ) and the nine oclock position .

Those of you who have met me will realize I am probably not the best person to try lying on my back upside down in the footwell :roll: trying to turn the tap by hand but I will give it a try when I get time :lol:
I may well take Vanny up on his kind offer on facebook when he returns from warmer climes

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 16 Jan 2012

mickey taker wrote: heres the stereo I got for it for £40.00

Looks an excellent buy for £40. DAB as well, that would have been an expensive jobby new. 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 16 Jan 2012

Dek stuck a fresh sterio in my TXD, but I've no idea what it was. It had a set of buttons with it so must have been an expensive programmeable thingy.
It had some large oval speakers screwed to c/outs in the boot cover, which Gregzee took back and I patched up.
The patches are easily removed if anyone should want to put speakers in there :roll:

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 17 Jan 2012

by boot cover do you mean the parcel shelf Phil ?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 18 Jan 2012

:lol: That's the one

It depends where you are stood. outside it's a parcel shelf, but if I have things in the boot it ...err... covers them up :wink:

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 18 Jan 2012

for those of you who dont frequent totherside
reciepts that came with the meteor

these two are for the head rebuild

yes people thats nearly £2,000 the old boy spent in 7 months

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 18 Jan 2012

Hells bells, Im amazed.

Most people would lob in some K seal and trade it in for a Nippon Perusal or some other such Korean tin
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 18 Jan 2012

8 hrs for job one is a bit high. The smaller jobs are ok but 14 hours for the last job is steep...... [no] garages!!!

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 18 Jan 2012

amazes me two years ago they strip and rebuild the tap, 6 months later they bypass the heater and a month after that they decide the heater tap is still faulty and the coolant leak is down to the head gasket. yet here we are 18 months later , the car runs fine but you cant turn the heater control knob

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 19 Jan 2012

mickey taker wrote:amazes me two years ago they strip and rebuild the tap, 6 months later they bypass the heater and a month after that they decide the heater tap is still faulty and the coolant leak is down to the head gasket. yet here we are 18 months later , the car runs fine but you cant turn the heater control knob
Surely the original work should have been warrantied as it was their diagnosis that appears defective? How the hell can they justify having another two chargeable bites at it and still leave it unfixed? Doesn't seem a very ethical outfit despite their chevrons! :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 19 Jan 2012

Thats what all garages do, since the dawn of time. The trick is to then make sure you pay no more for the next couple of years motoring.

My dads 19rd spent a lot of its life in the garage due to poor starting, they replaced fuel lines, changed pump timings, changed the battery, the starter and the clutch and it still had the same problems. Cost something like £3,500 from a main stealer to have all this work done and for non of it to be resolved. When i started driving the car had the same problem and i typically had to call the AA to start the car if i wanted to go anywhere. I eventually found the now defunkt Q&A Forum and they suggested a new earth lead between battery and gearbox. Well for a while i used to put a jump lead from the neg to the gearbox housing and it would start perfectly. I managed to fix within a few months and for less than £5 what a mean dealer had spent 5 years and £3500 trying to fix!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 19 Jan 2012

Or morre to the point, trying not to fix :x

scooters

Post by scooters » 19 Jan 2012

nice meteor mate, I use mine as a daily - bought off Mark last year and going strong. sticking revs could be a sticking autochoke - but check the coolant level - the autochoke is the highest point of the coolant system so you have to bleed it using a coke bottle and blue tack to create a header tank.

doesn't hurt to open the autochole mechanism cover and give it a good skoosh of silicone lube

my stereo at the moment is a Lidl job I bought on gumtree brand new for 20 quid - it has bluetooth media and phone and goes to 2 decent alpine speakers I plumbed in. No common loom so I soldered bullet connectors to stereo and car and have plumned it in - quick removal for dropping in the old clarion tape player for authenticity.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 19 Jan 2012

well it turns out that they bypassed the standard petrol pump and fitted an electric one because the old boy kept flooding the carb.I dont know whether to leave well alone or put it all back to standard and see how it go's ( will post pics of there "work "later)

I think the cars biggest problem is lack of use , the tick over problem seems to have all but gone, the car drives nicely enough , all but a couple of dashbulb lights work and the glovebox even has unbroken hinges :lol:
started to have a look at the heater issue, both pipes still go through the bulkhead and get hot, so I guess they must still be connected through the heater , felt around through the stereo aperture and when turning the hot cold knob you can feel tensioning in the cables so I guess its either the cables are stuck somehow or the heater tap that was rebuilt is still fubared.