Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

Tensioners, idlers and a complete muddle

Post by Vanny » 07 Feb 2012

In order to get the AC compressor and belt on, i need to have an idler roller to increase the lap angle on the alternator/compressor so that they actually work.

I have the genuine and correct idler for the valver, and it is in seemingly good condition. Problem is the cack handed muggle to took it off the donor car snapped the bolt. This bolt is a bit weird, M8 one side, M10 the other, with a 4mm fixed washer/nut in the middle (its flanged so to get a spanner on). Suffice to say Citroen don't supply one any more, and they've tried more than there usual to find one.

I've had one made up, but it looks a bit shit and i'm not too confident that it wont just snap in the same way.

So i was thinking about using a different setup. One of the 405's has a better arrangement, similar to the later 1.9td belt arrangement with double rollers, one adjustable to take out the slack. I've seen them before, but can't find one to buy on the eBay. Should be a simple trip to the scrap yard if i was in North Wales, but round here i don't know where any scrap yards are.

Two questions,

1) has anyone got one
2) does anyone know where to get one?

Sod it

3) Who's free in March to come play?
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Tensioners, idlers and a complete muddle

Post by mat_the_cat » 07 Feb 2012

Vanny wrote:One of the 405's has a better arrangement, similar to the later 1.9td belt arrangement with double rollers, one adjustable to take out the slack.

1) has anyone got one
I have! :P

This was a direct swap from a (I think petrol) 405 onto the smooth aluminium sump I got from an XUD. But when I changed to a (finned) valver sump, the 3 mounting bosses on the sump did not line up. From memory it was sortable by re-drilling the tensioner/idler assembly, but can't remember whether I also had to weld on an extender tab.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 07 Feb 2012

Thats the fucking puppy, and now i know where i've seen it before, i think there was one on the knackered block Bandit had from me a few years back. That should mean any Pug/Cit diesel between 1995/6 and well 2003 ish should have them. That can't be hard to find.

Actually i wonder if i might have one at my parents? There are all kinds of dieselly bits there. Might have to have a ganders at the weekend.

Oh if anyone has the frame/adjustable idler knocking about please let me know.
ImageImage

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 09 Feb 2012

I'm trying to get an alternator belt idler wheel at the moment, as mine is squealing like fuck!
I think I've located a new QH item, in Germany for €90, including postage.

Given that I've been told they can't be got no more, I hope it's the right one!
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 09 Feb 2012

What Jaba (on the other side) has done is miss out the tensioner and idler completely and simply run the belt in a triangle around the 3 pulleys. I did try that for a period of time, but felt the tension I had to put in to avoid slippage would not be good for long term bearing life in the compressor and alternator.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 09 Feb 2012

On the back of this here fag packet, with some serious guess work, i reckon running the belt in a triangle on the valver would result in a lap angle about the compressor equivalent to 15% where it should be 40 to 60%, the first time the compressor engages its just gonna slip. Not to mention a 10% reduction in lap over the alternator, and probably 15% reduction over all on the engine pulley. For me this seems like a bad idea, even going from 4v to 6v belts.
ImageImage