BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Bloody buggery fuck.

Post by David » 23 Nov 2007

Thought I'd bought a decent compressor. Actually, I had. Unfortunately the thing had been sat in a cold/possibly damp garage for 5 years before I bought it, and the shellac on the windings of the motor have evidently suffered. A couple of months of use here and the bloody thing shorts a load of it's turns, and it's fucked.

Irritatingly the rest of the compressor is still in brand-new condition, so I'm in two minds as to whether I buy a replacement motor, or just get a whole new compressor, as there's a seller on fleabay selling 3hp 50 litre compressors for the same as it would cost for a new motor for my machine (which is also a 3hp 50 litre unit), which is about a hundred quid.

Bastard machinery.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Nov 2007

cant get it rewound?

Netto have a 2hp compressor with twin guages for £60 at the moment!
ImageImage

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

I'm looking at the possibility of a rewind, but I bet that'll come out almost as expensive as a replacement motor. Need to make some phone calls tomorrow and find out.

A 2hp compressor for £60 is very cheap, but not man enough for what I need. 3hp is just about enough, but that is pulling 14A through a 13A plug. You should see the lights dim when it starts up.

What I really need is about 4hp to stop the damn thing running all the time. Granted, I could run two 2hp motors, but that would be about 19A, and need some fairly hefty re-wiring in my garage.

Maybe I should just build a diesel-powered compressor.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Vanny
Site Admin

must have an XUD lingering around?
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 23 Nov 2007

I've got a petrol compressor, it's the bollocks.
I did know a man that would re-wind anything for a few beers, if he's still alive I'll give him a nod mate.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 23 Nov 2007

docchevron1472 wrote:I've got a petrol compressor, it's bollocks.
Yes, remember what happened last time I put a gallon of petrol in it?

john s
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

David
Part of the decor

Just made a couple of phone calls to see about getting it rewound. Prices range from £160 to £210 so far.

I can buy a complete brand new blood compressor for less than that!
Vanny wrote:must have an XUD lingering around?
Better than that, I have a number of speed-regulated perkins diesel engines. That may be the way to go.

I think I've become a bit obsessed with air-supply. I was looking at a 500litre receiver earlier. Where the hell would I put that!?!

Vanny
Site Admin

get a vertical 500litre jobbie

there surprisingly cheap.
ImageImage

David
Part of the decor

Just had a very interesting talk with a chappie at a motor repair company. It *could* be nothing more than a blown capacitor, which would burn out the contacts of the start/run switch (depending on whether it's a centripetal or soleniod switch). That was looking hopeful until he mentioned that even if it was as minor as that, I'd still be looking at £60 +Vicious Added Tacks. Bollocks to it, I'm going to buy a new compressor.

.. and for anyone else who wants one, these look very good value for money.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 24 Nov 2007

For the prices you were quoted to repair yours, why fuck around withy that when a new one is so cheap?

I might get one myself!

john s
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!