Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Am I mad?

Post by mat_the_cat » 23 Mar 2014

This week I have been mainly welding, inbetween visiting a selection of North Wales hospitals to get bits removed from my eye.

So, the question is do I take it out for a quick test drive now? Or get stuck into the O/S sill? I have a feeling that if I actually drive it around a bit it will take a lot longer to actually get round to tackling the other side! Being able to drive it should be the incentive I need to get the rest of the welding done that little bit more quickly...
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 23 Mar 2014

finish the welding ffs

also, north wales oob sickenhaus are NOT for the win! You need Liverpool Royal, Chester at a push or my mum is at Ruthin next weekend!

Might have to come visit/joy ride when i get back!
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 26 Mar 2014

Managed to get another day off work tomorrow, so the plan is to tackle the nearside sill. Looks worse on the surface so fuck knows what I'll find underneath, and given that it took 18 hours on the other side I'm not exactly looking forwards to it. Still, at least I'm not paying someone to do it!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Mar 2014

[chin] How the fuck do you keep getting stuff in yer eye?

I was in the game for 25 years and only managed it about twice and we had slag to contend with.

You gotta wear proper fitting glasses mate. Honestly... you don't get a spare set of peepers.

2 things you need to keep in the + aid box are anti arc flash drops (they stay good to go for six to 8 months after you open them. A squeezy bottle of sterile water to flush any bitz out yer eye.

Enjoy 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 27 Mar 2014

Philhod wrote:you don't get a spare set of peepers.
But not long now until you can

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2012/0 ... ee/#!ByD1q
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 27 Mar 2014

:D You know, that kind of fits in with my thinking. My mate mohamed's daughter is studying medical genetics at Huddersfield uni. We wer discussing something similar about cochlear implants and she was saying they are now experimenting with growimg your own ear bits. She went on to say they were also well on with studying other life form
DNA's that grow their own limbs back after losing say a leg or two. 8)

Perhaps save one or two of us as we become legless. :lol:

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 28 Mar 2014

Third time of going to eye hospital in 10 years :( Goggles are a pretty good fit with just a tiny gap where the straps are. But got some better fitting ones today. Welding didn't go well today, a lot more than I thought to do! Good news is I got tomorrow off work too, bad news is I have to go to the dentist as a fucking filling has crumbled :evil:
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 28 Mar 2014

mat_the_cat wrote:filling has crumbled
age, it gets to old people and they fall apart, just look at Doc!
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 28 Mar 2014

Dentist?!? Never heard of P38? ;)
Almost BX-less

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Result! They couldn't fit me in until next Wednesday, so I spent the day on the car and managed to finish the sills (would have been very annoying to spend another day off being worked on by the NHS). What a fucker of a job! Actually putting the sills on was the easy bit - it was making something for them to weld to was the tricky bit. SO pleased (and slightly pissed) now, as that's all the structural welding done. 3 more spots to do, but all small patches and nothing to worry about.

Might leave it up in the air for a bit longer still, as it's a more convenient height. But once the front wings are on it's first drive time. And I'm slightly nervous. I will video the event for amusement...
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 28 Mar 2014

[chin] Did you fit a stiffener inside the sill?

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Not specifically, but the inner sill is now quite a bit thicker than previously, and it's all seam welded rather than spot welded. The state of the shell does rather explain why it was getting a bit flexy during the last year it was on the road. I could even get the interior light to come on with hard cornering!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Apr 2014

:) Your welding is looking good. What you using for a set now and are you still using CO2 or are you on Argon/mix?

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 01 Apr 2014

Cheers Phil. Now got a Sealey Supermig 150 after my Clarke was stolen...I'd hired one when the relay on the Clarke failed and thought it was a better machine. Plus if it can stand up to hire use then it's a good sign. Wire feed mechanism is better quality although my main problem is power supply to where I'm working - i.e. it's shit and voltage drops depending on (shared) load. 170 volts measured at one point!

Still using C02, it's all I can get round here. Plus my big bottle ran out so I had to use loads of the little 'uns :(

Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 02 Apr 2014

Sealy's are quite sturdy if a bit basic and the wire feed is not that much better really. Its the same drive system as myTopmig 170 turbo. Trouble is I tried putting some old wire through it and it fucked the drive completely as the wire has seized inside the umbilical.
I've stripped it down but can't be arsed fuckin about with it till we get some better weather :( .

Co2 is cool it's just that Argon mixes give a lot better finish. IE flatter and smoother. ( much less grinding) :wink:

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 09 Apr 2014

Bike's now been sold and collected, so I've got some dosh in the respray fund. Assuming I don't spend it before then...got an exhaust to pay for too!
Image Image Image Image

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 16 Apr 2014

About to take it for a first test drive - if you don't hear from me again assume I've either wrapped it round a tree or died in a huge fireball!
Image Image Image Image

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 16 Apr 2014

If there's a choice, i'd suggest you go for the tree, death by fire ruins your hair!
Almost BX-less

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 16 Apr 2014

Here is proof that I survived!

A number of things became evident, not least that I should have cleaned the windscreen. Firstly that the carbs need setting up/overhauling, as it's not running perfectly. Secondly, and despite this, even on part throttle it's going to be a lot more fun than the old engine!
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 17 Apr 2014

Strikes me that an exhaust wouldnt go amiss either!
ImageImage