Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Spheres

Post by mat_the_cat » 11 Aug 2013

I swapped the very old looking front spheres from the white TGD estate to the front of mine the other day, just to see what the effect was on the ride. Still not as soft as the white one, but I think part of that might be down to the rear (I think the front feels almost as smooth) and the fact I reckon I'm running a touch high at the front. But anyway, I like the softness so am thinking of getting softer spheres all round.

Got the table from the Tramonta BX site and for the estates I've either got a choice of 500 cc/55 bar/1.65 mm or 500 cc/55 bar/1.8 mm for the front (the damping hole got smaller in '87) and 500/40/1.3 or 500/40/1.1 for the rear, again a change in '87.

Any thoughts on whether to just get the softest possible? I do find that mid-corner bumps unsettle the car more than I'd like - just a little worried that going for very early spec. spheres might be softer than I really want, having never driven a Mk1.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Re: Spheres

Post by Vanny » 12 Aug 2013

Are they soft because of the size of the damper, or the amount of pressure? Have you pressure checked the spheres back to back?
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 12 Aug 2013

No, 'cos I ain't got the means to do so. Bit more info: the fronts are a year old, from Westroen and did give some improvement when fitted so inclined to think the pressure is OK to spec. on those. The rears were fitted at the ICCCR and were NOS genuine Citroen spheres, so it would be interesting to see if the pressure is to spec. They were simply marked up as BX estate rear, and I don't know if a TD estate should have different spheres to the other estates.

I'm hoping Westroen will give me some kind of part exchange deal on those, and the ones they supplied last year. Plus a handful more I have! My logic is if I fit the softest riding spheres and I'm STILL not 100% happy, there must be something else amiss. Anyone else who's been in the car doesn't seem to think there is a problem, and I haven't been in a TD BX which rides significantly softer. (The silver one felt tighter, which I think makes bumps less noticeable but actual ride was much the same). So I'm inclined to think there isn't too much actually wrong with me, just my advancing years meaning I fancy more comfort. Truth be told I was pretty happy with the ride until I drove the white one over the same roads!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Aug 2013

Hi Mat. According to my memory, I saw different pressure settings for the break.
There was a guy at Stratford the year before last, I can't remember his name but plenty on here know him.
He had made up a simple (to me anyway) home made rig, for checking the pressure of spheres and re pressuring them either way.
May be worth a call. :)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 12 Aug 2013

Probably CitroJim then, just search for it on FCF or via google and there are lods of ways to make one. All you really need is the pressure gauge. Irritatingly all of mine are gas not liquid gauges.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 14 Aug 2013

It'd be handy to have, but I still think the main difference isn't the pressure but the damping hole. As the old NA spheres (likely down on pressure) ride better than the year old re-pressurised TD ones! But I have a nagging feeling that the TGD rides better on the TD spheres than my red one...struts feel lovely and smooth but the ride height is a tad too high I think which won't help. I adjusted it last year as it was too low, but settled with it a bit on the high side which was a big improvement back then.
Image Image Image Image