Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Vanny
Site Admin

MOT day today

Post by Vanny » 04 Mar 2014

Lovely jubbly, that time of the year again.

Changed a headlight so it doesn't wobble to such, tried to find where the damn leak is in the exhaust (absolutely no visible sign and I cant feel a leak, its either the manifold cracked, or the gasket between manifold and down pipe leaking) and refurbed a front wiper unit so that it actually makes it from one side of the screen to another.

Though i did put the wiper back together upside down and now it parks on the driver side, which is odd.

Didn't have any problems on the 30 mile drive to the station, until breaking for the last round about and the ABS light came on, and stayed on! Quite often comes on when the brakes are hot, but what a PITA.

Friendly MOT man will probably pass it, now he knows to let it cool.

And the choice loan car for the day, a proper clapped out Vectra.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: MOT day today

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Mar 2014

Always had a slight blow on the 205, although could see no crack on the manifold and re-did the downpipe joint several times. Good luck with finding that one...

Oh, and best of luck with the test! Did driving it again make you rethink your decision to sell?
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

not really, between the noise and the shit brakes, it was more arduous than it should have been. Even overtaking a lorry on a straight bit of country road didnt raise the normal childish grin. Shall have to make some 'comfort' adjustments and see what happens.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Mar 2014

Comfort adjustments? New spheres?
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Fix hole in exhaust, where ever the hell it is, 5th gear mod, re attach door to the car, take out the IP, replace wiring harness and refit IP without the fecking rattles, sort out the knackered sill ends, and find the god damn brakes!

Actually, funny story about the brakes, decided at the weekend to plug some gaps around the garage door to stop the wind before tackling the dosseur. Figured I need to paint the wooden surround before filling the gaps, so took some crappy looking edging strips off to find the frame is barely attached to the brick work with a massive gap, and totally unsupported across the top, oh joy! Easy fix, but suffice to say i didn't start the dosseur job before the MOT.

Oh well, car has new 12 month MOT, even with the ABS light playing up, so it can wait until next year!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 08 Mar 2014

you're selling Jazz?????????
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 08 Mar 2014

I'm not one to pick up on subtlety, but yes, I *think* that's what he's considering.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 12 Mar 2014

:( is all...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 12 Mar 2014

Well, it'd be nice if he kept it as it would mean we aren't the only daft buggers to want to hang onto our old BXs...if others do it then if can't be such a stupid idea! But he's still the same person regardless of what he drives, and it's crazy to keep hold of something if it no longer makes you happy.

But I do hope a spark is re-kindled. Fuck, I've made it sound like some fading relationship here!
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 12 Mar 2014

surely that's what it is? The longest relationships I've had by far have been with my BX's and the ambulance.
The minute the bus is finished I'm gong to have to completely strip Eichie and pretty much make it from scratch. It's utterly fucked. But I will, because I love that car, and it deserves it.
But when I see people like Vanny saying enough, it kinda makes me think, fuck it, it must be time to move on and get a Mondeo, and give up on life...
It's actually quite depressing..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 12 Mar 2014

What's right for one person isn't right for everybody...this is something I've been giving a lot of thought to. I enjoy my BX, partly because of the car and partly the memories. It makes me happy. But it makes me unhappy to see it deteriorating, and I'm not sure I have the time (or money) to keep on top of everything in the future. So if there comes a time when the unhappy parts outweigh the good, I'd have to consider selling up too.

My hope is to move somewhere where the weather is kinder, and I can worry less about rust. Either a complete move to France, or even towards the coast up here. Compare the rainfall where Lana works (north coast) to where we live...

(Graphs stolen from the internet so they must be true!)

That's just a distance of 40 miles! It's pissing me off a lot, but the other side of it is it meant we could actually afford our house...
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 13 Mar 2014

I get that, I do, I just find it depressing is all
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 15 Mar 2014

The fucking problem is that by the time you get to my age and have more time to really keep on top of things.
You end up with not enough bleeding money to do it, so I'm looking at options. I want to get hold of a 94 brake in Triton Green. 19 TD engine or fit one. sooooo....

I've recently got involved with some oil merchants. Because of all my contacts in the Middle East and North Africa.
In the oil business there are always oil buyers looking for sellers and vice versa. using said contacts, if you link them up, you get a dollar a barrel between you. Well we just made our first deal at least we are waiting for the seller and buyer to make a deal. At the minute it looks like they will be dealing 20 million barrels a month for 10 months. If it ever completes my share will be 10 cents a barrel. [clap] [clap] [fire] If it works out I'll defo be looking for some more. 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.