General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Evening!

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Feb 2016

So, it's been a while...
Life's been a bit up and down, mainly up though. Things are still going well with her indoors, nearly 3 years now...
Richie the red BX reached a point of spending more time in the air having bits welded to it than on the road, so I've done the unthinkable and parked it up until I can restore it properly. Which won;t be any time soon since I'm determined to finish the fucking bus, which I started 7 1/2 years ago....
The valver is still road legal and I intend to keep it so, but reduce it's use to high days and holidays rather than as a daily driver. Which it had been for some time, clocking up a huge number of miles with not a single issue or breakdown.
Dad had Richie for some time whilst I restored Phoenix, again, and everything that could go wrong with that did. Not aided by nearly losing my leg just after I took the car apart, which stopped ALL play for 7 months.
My left ankle continues to degrade, so I decided long back that when Richie gets rebuilt it MUST have an autobox. So I bought a 2.2HDi (yes with the fucking FAP) and the ZF 4HP20 autobox, with the plan of using it as a daily hack until I get around to restoring the red one and then using the entire running gear out of the C5 in the BX, including the hydractive 3.
Within miles I decided that was a shit idea. I dont much like the engine, all the electronic bullshit and the 4HP20 shits the bed after 150K miles, and the autoadaptive bit is dense as fuck. So I'm going XUD9TE and a ZF 4HP18 for the BX, but I might actually keep the C5 to use as a van once the BX is done.
In many ways the C5 is the worst car I've ever owned, and many ways it's great. It is HUGE in the boot department (being an estate like) and not having a clutch makes my ankle very happy. But it drinks more fuel than the 16V, the drivers seat is fucking horrid, the autobox is noisy, and whilst the car was uber cheap (really, it was half the cost of anything I could find on ebay) I've spent a fair chunk on it in the month and a bit I've had it in an attempt to ensure I can just use it for a while without having to worry about it.
I haven't bonded with the C5 at all, which I've unimaginatively called Sinclair, but the girlfriend likes it, and it is a very capable motor. I'm actually glad I haven't bonded with it, it really makes me wan to get the BX back in traffic all the more! I can't say it's modern, it's 13 years old, but it's too modern for me. But, it does what it needs to do for now, so there we are, I've gone to the dark side and I've seen the future, and the future is a BX!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Evening!

Post by Philhod » 11 Feb 2016

:lol: Too true Doc. Although I can't fault my Pikarosole. I rue selling the BX. If I make some cash this year I'll defo be on the look out for 1.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Feb 2016

I'll never get rid of the BX's. I love the C5 solely because I don't love it! I've already had a blind man drive into the back of it, and a blind woman hit the NSF corner reversing out of a parking space, while I was sat in the car, but I don't much care. It's a big box with no clutch, so it does what I need it to do right now, but it's no BX and just reinforces what I already thought, I don't like modern cars!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 12 Feb 2016

I'm the same. Elektroublix be ye work of ye devil. I much prefer stuff I can fix rather than some twat with a fucking tablet.

About yer C5 I bought a 1600 D Ford orion back when I first went diesel in the 80's. It was a shed, it said it was red but it looked shit brown to me. I bought it for £100 with lots of stuff not working like heater n/s wiper, lighting faults etc. but it had a ticket
Screwed the balls off it fixed all the faults for nothing. I had it 18 months, the thing never let me down once and when I cleaned it up and sold it, the first guy that turned up gave me £450 for it.

I liked it much better then 8)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 13 Feb 2016

I paid £795 for the C5. Which on paper is all its money, but similar mileage cars on ebay go for near twice that... that said I've put a lot of miles on it already. I've spent a bit more than the purchase price on it in bits and oils (the autobox fluid is fucking expensive!) but I'm happy to spend some time and effort on it now in the hope I just drive it for the next couple of years and not have any major outlay on it. In terms of space, it wins. In having no clutch, it wins. In terms of fun to drive, it loses. But it gets me about without destroying whats left of my ankle, and it reminds me why I lve BX's, so in many ways it's the best car I could ever own, one that knows its place!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 16 Feb 2016

Has it got oily suspenders or springs?

Confusing that? Both HDI 14, 16 and 20 are super efficient in the fuel department. The 2.2 isn't as good, but not that bad so I suspect yer auto is costing you in other ways even if good for said ankle.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 16 Feb 2016

it's a P1 mate, so rides on oil. Or not as the case with the back. It's dragging it's arse. Awaiting a level sensor.....

The 2.2 was always a thirsty beast, and yeah, the auto doesn't help the economy, but it is almost essential for me now.
The turbo isn't in great health and the intercooler is leaking, so yeah, there's a few things to do that might improve the economy a bit, but if it doesn't so be it. It's a 1.7 tonne car with a FAP and an autobox, so it was never going to be that good on fuel. Although out Mayor is without doubt the biggest cause of fuel consumption...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 17 Feb 2016

I drove a friends C5 estate ages back and TBH I found the ride superb on the hydractive thingy, only it was the 2.0 liter version with 135 horses. It too had a particulate burner but he got rid of it as I recall.
Grandson Gregzee had one on his Audi which he also ditched. He had it done professionally with a lap top etc. Ran better and used less fuel after.
He's got rid of that too and bought himself a Vauxhall Insignia. It's about the only thing that will carry him now he's up to 20 stone. :lol:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Feb 2016

the ride is shit on mine because the rear height sensor has gone to shit. The arse end is way too low. New sensor on order...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance