BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Nearside Steering rack boot.

Post by docchevron132 » 06 May 2010

T55, not 5.5! A 5.5 would get lost in that there bolt!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 06 May 2010

Same as the XUD head bolts?
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 May 2010

aye, thats the fella.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 06 May 2010

:) I missed this and I was just going to say it's the same one you have for the head bolts :mrgreen:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 06 May 2010

Doc wrote:T55, not 5.5! A 5.5 would get lost in that there bolt!
Fortunately, I just typed the decimal but obtained the 55 in reality. :)
Way2go wrote: Question though, are new gaiters also available for the ram as the black plastic bag one over it has a long split too :? Is this an MOT issue :?:
Any views on this?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 06 May 2010

Never seen on on any of my BXs and it was never an issue!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 06 May 2010

Right! :evil: I've spent hours today trying to fit this gaiter without success as the hole is just too small and the rubber thickness doesn't yield easily to stretching. I've tried spoons, tyre levers but it doesn't go easily over the boss let alone the spigot.

The gaiter is a Drivelink DG168 if that means anything and there's another number on the box E-12-C , description "Rack Gaiter Citroen - Peugeot".

I can stretch the rubber over a cone I've got for CV boots but can't use that unfortunately. When stretched wide it still reforms straight after coming of the cone.

Both ends of the unused new one are 40mm at rest. It seems a quality bit of rubber but that is of little consolation at the moment.

I've left the one I'm using up the cone overnight to see if that will make any difference!

Any other tips or thoughts? Do you try fit it over the spigot at an angle on the track rod before trying to push it over the boss? I've tried that too but................
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 06 May 2010

I have managed to shoe horn (not literally mind!) a rubber one on but failing that (which sounds like you're tried everything!) then it's a case of removing inner axial joint and removing ram spigot doobery. Not that hard TBH BUT I've not done one in situ like that......
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 07 May 2010

Erm, the number means nothing to ne, but I'm guessing it must be the wrong unit. I've never taken more than 30 minutes to do the job, and thats at my pace. Slips straight on guvner!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 May 2010

Whoopee! [clap] Left the Gaiter expanded up on a CV Cone for 2 days as it was reforming so quick! This made the bastard slower to reform and then managed to push it over the boss and the spigot by pushing inside the boot with the aid of a long Dunlop tyre lever. The ends fitted snugly in the grooves although it was a wrestle down the back of the engine to locate the ram body end.

It concertiners nicely from end to end without the flattening David experienced. I went to GSF on Friday to check if their offering was any easier to manipulate but still no stock. They located some in another store so said they would get one moved over on Monday for me to look at. Thankfully I won't need it now which is good as they are now asking £13 for ONE Gaiter.

:evil: Have to go to GSF again anyway as found the o/s strut return pipe is perished, cracked and weeping. They really must make them out of crapite as they were both new for the MOT last year (receipt date 24/04/09). This must contravene the sale of goods act under "merchantable quality" surely? :evil:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 May 2010

I find the same, every year before the MOT on mine I replace the BJ's and strut return pipes.. They really dont make them like what they did once like.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 May 2010

GSF return pipes last 2 minutes! AEP do genuine ones but charge silly postage. BUT, if you can choose some service items, a gallon of oil and such and get it to over £50 after VAT then del'y is free! Oh, an the return pipes last a gazillion times longer! Shame they don't do octopii........... :(

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 10 May 2010

4 years on my genuine ones and counting - well worth the extra quid over pattern parts at the time although I did actually think twice before splashing the cash (it was before I'd read of various people having problems with cheap rubber).
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 May 2010

:o I've replaced the returns once in 17 years (about 3 years ago) and it is still on it's original octopussy. The only leaks I have had were the returns and the rear cylinders becoming porous.
Oh! and 1 main pipe from front to back burst. and that's it. One or two drips around the accumulator but that was only duff seals.
I've changed the fluid and cleaned the filtres about 4 times too.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.