BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Handbrake Fail

Post by Philhod » 09 Dec 2010

There are a number of lubricants for yer locks, that have antifreeze capabilities down to -20.
Once grease hardens up it can cause more problems than it solves. :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Post by catsinthewelder » 09 Dec 2010

Hi Phil, are you thinking graphite type stuff?

Lucky you said, I was just going to splat cv joint grease about same as I've got a tub in the bus. That said would copperslip be any good?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Dec 2010

Actually graphited greases are OK as they don't congeal as easily. Liquid oils speciailly formulated for lock mechanisms are available quite cheaply, from any parts outlet.
The main reason these are better for icy conditions is, as a liquid, it gets right inside, therefore lubricating and stopping ice forming at the same time.
Ordinary vegetable or mineral based greases solidify with age and cold, that's what kills off so many bearings in winter.
Some bastard greased up a distributor for me years ago and I ended up knocking it out with a 2lb hammer.

catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Post by catsinthewelder » 10 Dec 2010

Sorry, I think we're slightly at cross purposes here Phil. The locks themselves are fine*, its the mechanism that opens the door when you pull up the door handle which keeps freezing. It seems to have improved for the moment due to the milder weather and half can of Plusgas that's been sprayed in its general direction but I'm still putting the window down to wiggle the outer handle a few times as well as the inner before it frees up on cold mornings.

*The fuel cap lock did freeze up but that's not really a big worry. Also on the coldest morning that we had the central locking was flicking straight back to locked but a quick tug at the right moment sorted that out :mrgreen:

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Dec 2010

Not really the message about greases still applies to the mechanism and locks

Again +gas is fine but the antifreeze ingredient evaporates after an hour.