BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Help!

Post by mat_the_cat » 05 Jan 2011

But you have had pleasure out of it in the meantime haven't you?

Part of the reason (apart from financial!) I like driving older vehicles is the feeling that each journey is more of an adventure. I also like the familiarity of vehicles I've owned and worked on for many years. I do like the idea of a cheap characterless (so I don't start liking it) 'modern' that could be a daily hack though.
Image Image Image Image

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 05 Jan 2011

If you want the fun and excitement of driving and older car but the reliability of a modern car may I suggest

A mk2 Golf GTi,

deffinataly encapsulates the best of both worlds
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 05 Jan 2011

Yeah, but I could see myself getting to like that (sorry Billy!), defeating the object of a car I don't care about...

On the subject of Golf GTis, a mate of mine has just bought a Mark 3 one for his missus - K reg, £150. Sounds cheap to me although I've not checked it over. Thought they went for more?
Image Image Image Image

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 05 Jan 2011

no Matt mk3's are generally rustbuckets and havent got the "scene" value of the mk2,

I bought an Lreg years ago for £60 and only paid that much because the guy left a sub woofer and a scalextric set in the boot.
Ive still got the sub in my golf ( was in the camry ) and sold the scalextric for £40 :D

dont forget, I was very lucky getting my one so cheap most mk 2 Gti's sell for twice if not three times what I paid.
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 05 Jan 2011

mat_the_cat wrote:But you have had pleasure out of it in the meantime haven't you?
Hell yeah :D It's been a blast.

And I know I'm weird, but I'm actually really excited about picking the Xsara up tomorrow!
Cheers,
Stu

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Jan 2011

yes, that does qualify you for weirdness a bit there mate!
Anyhow, get some piccies up when it arrives!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 06 Jan 2011

I'd say the Xsara is probably the lesser of two evils betwixt that and a Xantia, but then I'd probably of gone for a ZX personally.

Good to be excited Stu, hope it stays reliable for you. What lump is in it?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 06 Jan 2011

More info here - can you get onto BXC without the p(r)oxy server yet?
Image Image Image Image

stu
Established

Post by stu » 06 Jan 2011

1.6 16V petrol, BXB. I would have preferred a diesel, but they're thin on the ground and that one was a bargain, too good to pass up.

Mat, I still need to use a p(r)oxy server, but I've finally got round to configuring FoxyProxy so now I can do it seamlessly from within FireFox rather than having to go via a web-based one! Those web-based proxy servers are useful, but using them regularly is unbelievably irritating hence my long absence from The Other Place.

Anyway, it's here and it's great! Fingers crossed for reliability, but for the third time in my life I've bought a Citroen that was particularly known for wiring issues - the Mk1 CX and Mk1 XM both had issues, and now I've got multiplexing...
Cheers,
Stu

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 07 Jan 2011

Just get a woman to talk to it if it misbehaves, they can multiplex with the best of them!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 07 Jan 2011

stu wrote:1.6 16V petrol, BXB. I would have preferred a diesel, but they're thin on the ground and that one was a bargain, too good to pass up.

Mat, I still need to use a p(r)oxy server, but I've finally got round to configuring FoxyProxy so now I can do it seamlessly from within FireFox rather than having to go via a web-based one! Those web-based proxy servers are useful, but using them regularly is unbelievably irritating hence my long absence from The Other Place.

Anyway, it's here and it's great! Fingers crossed for reliability, but for the third time in my life I've bought a Citroen that was particularly known for wiring issues - the Mk1 CX and Mk1 XM both had issues, and now I've got multiplexing...
Ahh, glad it's good. A bargain should indeed be snapped up when available and I guess a 1.6 won't see you out of pocket juice wise too badly. Although, I half filled the TZD yesterday and it's £1.31 a bloody litre :evil:

Matt, I still have to use a poxy server yes - damned things. Stu, I use firefox too, can you enlighten me regarding your use of foxyproxy please? 8)
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

stu
Established

Post by stu » 09 Jan 2011

FoxyProxy is dead easy to install - it's just a Firefox add-on. The hard part is finding a proxy server to use. I've found one that works, but I don't really want to recommend it to you because I don't know how secure it is!

Does anyone know of any guaranteed secure ones?
Cheers,
Stu

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 09 Jan 2011

erm...........no, not really..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance