BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: High emissions

Post by Philhod » 19 Aug 2011

:) The main problemis Mat, that I'm hardly using it now and all the trips I do are under 10 miles. I think it was just full of shit and needed a good blow.

The actual average reading for smoke given in K(1/m), was 3.34 and the limit is 3.00.
So not much over.
It has never been a problem before when I used it every day and Dek's is always ok too and his has done over 100K, mine has only done 60. Mind you, when we did his head gasket a couple of years ago, similar to Pugs, the inlet tract around where the EGR inlet is, was choked with shit 1/2" deep.

I have heard reports of HDI 2.2's having some difficulties, or the ones with a particulate filtre, at least, but no personal experience.
I was talking to a bloke up the road who has a C8 with that motor. He had a problem with his, he had it chipped to give him quite a few more horses, and says he has had no problems since.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 19 Aug 2011

DPF - fupping kiss of death for diesel donkeys :x
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 02 Sep 2011

Father Ted wrote:DPF ON A VAUXHAUL - fupping kiss of death for diesel donkeys
Fixed that for you Ted, they don't seem to ever have trouble on Jags.
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 03 Oct 2011

Bit of an updates to this - not actually taken it for an MOT yet (replaced front pads, rear shoes, rear wheel cylinder, front wishbone bushes and still have the rear flexis to do) but in giving it a service I found what might be causing the high hydrocarbons...
Took the plugs out and the gap was well over 1mm! The plugs should have had a V groove on the centre electrode, but they were so worn this was barely evident. I didn't actually check to see whether their condition was consistant with how long they had apparently been in, but it makes me wonder if it really was looked after as well as the service history suggests :roll:

Oh well, for the price I can't complain! :lol:
Image Image Image Image

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 03 Oct 2011

i had a 1.1 106. it was shit. It was twitchy as helll and not as econmomical as it should have been, it was a 1 owner full history 30k car at the time too. nasty. But free is free :)
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 03 Oct 2011

Gregzee's Corsa quotes 39 thou for plug gap, which is...well...., 1 mill.
Plug gaps generally seem nearly twice what they used to be.
Nearly all plugs were 25 thou in the 70's and points 15. :roll:

Service history is good but often only gives 1/2 a tale. Gregzee's future in laws had their Punto serviced at the agents for 3 years while the paid for the car. They then asked Dek to do it for them as he was cheaper.
He gets me to go down as he couldn't get the oil filtre off, I had to get the unit off the block and into a vice and it still took my giant stillies to get it off.
It was plainly obvious when I got it free, that it had never been off since new and was almost completely blocked with sludge. I thought this was a little strange also, as they had been paying for synth which doesn't sludge alledgedly.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Oct 2011

What I was meaning that rather than 1mm being wrong, the fact that they had worn 0.4mm from what they should be was not a good sign. Except I forgot to point out they should be 0.8mm. :roll:

Funny you should mention the oil filter - it looked recent and probably was, but must have been tightened by a gorilla! Chain wrench wouldn't grip so had to piece it with a long screwdriver and hammer it round, but even after undoing half a turn I still had to use the hammer on the screwdriver. Normally when I change them I can still unscrew them completely by hand.
Image Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 04 Oct 2011

mat_the_cat wrote:Chain wrench wouldn't grip
They never do, they have no purpose.
mat_the_cat wrote:long screwdriver and hammer it round
No dear, not around, but through, then use it as a handle. Simples!
ImageImage

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Oct 2011

mat_the_cat wrote:had to pierce it with a long screwdriver
That's what I did, but it was still too tight to undo by hand, even when the hammer blows on the screwdriver had rotated the filter round half a turn!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Oct 2011

Most chain wrenches that you buy are lumps of shit. They don't work and just slip because of the poor material they are made of.
I took the head off one as a pattern and made one twice as thick, welded a piece of 3 mill wall, 25mm tube about 300 lg, as a handle and used M/bike chain.

Works a treat! even on spheres.

Although it works most times, the only snag with puncturing the filter right through is if it is really stuck you end up ripping most of it off.
Then it is a vice job :)

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 24 Oct 2011

Update - passed the MOT now and got 51mpg from the first tankful! Hydrocarbons were fine, but the lambda reading was showing it running a bit rich - still OK for the MOT. Perhaps the lambda sensor has been damaged by the unburnt fuel? Either way it doesn't seem to be going badly for the size of engine.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 24 Oct 2011

That sounds ok to me Mat. Lambdas don't usually suffer from extra fuel situations. It's usually the cat that dies from that.

Do you know of anyone selling a VW bus? Me mates son is after one :roll:
I can't for the life of me think why!!! :)

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 25 Oct 2011

Philhod wrote:Do you know of anyone selling a VW bus? Me mates son is after one :roll:
I wouldn't mind one myself!
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 25 Oct 2011

Philhod wrote: Do you know of anyone selling a VW bus? Me mates son is after one :roll:
How much of a project does he want to take on Phil? :?

I know a guy who's had one chocked up on a hardstanding for years but I'm not sure he will sell. It would need to be trailered away and make no mistake it will come with a generous supply of rust.

On the plus side though a good & sorted VW Camper I believe sells for mega-bucks.
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 25 Oct 2011

My van is (for some reason) frowned upon by those with 'proper' VW campers, so I'm not really part of that scene. But I do know they can sell for stupid money, I've seen some advertised for £20k upwards. What's his budget? I guess a couple of grand minimum for an MOT failure from what I've seen.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 25 Oct 2011

I'll find out what he's after.
His mam just happened to mention it yesterday when we were talking.