Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: MiG Welder!

Post by Philhod » 30 Jan 2009

:) It's all in the technique Vanny, I've never had to cut anything to get the distortion out

My biggest success was one of the operating arms off the Thames flood barrier.

It was sent into another shop to be welded, They didn't sequence weld it and it bent 26mm. :oops:

These are a fabricated box beams, about 18 meters long, made from 25mm plate and tapering from
3500 x 600 down to 1000 x 600 shaped a bit like a referee's whistle and it had bent about 5 meters from the thick end.
We set it up on two packings, bend up and placed a 13 ton weight on it, then 3 of us warmed fuck out of it for 7 hours non stop. At the end of the shift we were just beginning to get a dull red on it and I just said bollox to it I've had enuff. I had been warming a weave, about 2000 long x 300 wide on the top. The two lads at the side had warmed a big V down each side 300 at the top where I left off, down to about 50mm aver the 600 depth. Phew!!!

I got the night man to lift the weight 1/2 way through the night and leave it off, if it didn't come up again. It didn't, and when we checked it in the morning we had actually moved it 27 mm.
As I said before most of this type of work is an educated guess and we were just very lucky with that one :P 8) :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 30 Jan 2009

:x How come I can't delete those 3 incomplete posts that have appeared Vanny.

They just fucking well appeared, It' nowt I've done...err I think!!!!!!!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 13 Feb 2009

/\ That was interesting Phil and a good success - although I will add you over compensated by 1mm [no] :lol: :wink:

I've since read that trailer axles are designed with +ve camber and some toe out. I would expect the extent of camber and toe out to be inperceptable to the eye, which means the current set-up is mahoosivley out. So, when I re-weld the axle, I'll have to consider the camber & toe out during set-up. Probably not that critical I know but I like the long winded approach!
I'm off to the Mig forum for a read up!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 13 Feb 2009

:P :P Yeah I know it's a bastard aint it.

In fact the manager came zooming over the following morning, to ask how it went....

We all stood there with long faces and I said, I'm afraid it's gone through about a millimetre.

He stood looking suitably horrified for a second, then started jumping up and down shouting wow brilliant, your all on a drink for this........ [vomit]

Needless to say, we never got one :)

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 13 Feb 2009

What a bastard. Next time, fuck it up so the Thames and the whole of london floods!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 09 Apr 2009

I stoopidly got looking and wondered what you thought of these Phil?
mig1
mig2

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Apr 2009

:( First one looks well shagged mate.....certainly wouldn't see mor'n £50 of my money.

Number 2 looks a good unit.....Good quality ....... it's actually a CEBORA not BROA and the right sort of amperage. Still seems a bit pricey, but perhaps I'm a bit out of touch price wise.
:? :P

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 11 Apr 2009

Both units seem to be right on the money to me. £150 for a unit with a euro torch is very good indeed, and I was tempted by it myself, as my little clarke hobby welder is generally a bit fucked these days. Mind you, that could have something to do with me modifying it to take a full-size reel with a bit of scaffolding. It also now uses an "X" size gas bottle, but only because it's on the most ridiculous stand you've ever seen, with a fabulous lash-up between the regulator and the welder.

The first unit seems not too bad either, given that it's the type that will take a gas bottle on the back.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 15 Apr 2009

Any chance of a picture Dave, sounds hysterical!
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Feb 2010

I have £30 of Xmas monies burning a hole in my pocket. There are various tools that would I would happily exchange my tokens for, but, in particular I'm thinking of two Mig related components. I don't do masses of welding, although I have some coming up....my trailer, the Valver and Charlies BX to start off.

So, I was considering a gas flow meter (mostly as I have know idea what to set the flow to, or a means of measuring it) or a cheaper end auto darkening helmet. If I was mostly bench welding I prob wouldn't bother with an auto helmet, but under cars etc it could be a god send. What you lot thinks and are cheaper end (i.e. £30) auto masks a waste of cash?

I also need a tip please on setting the wire tension. When I tested and bought the Mig, I didn't look in the cabinet after I'd tested it - only before. When I got it home and had a look round, there was a complete birds nest in there. I've sorted it, but wonder if I've over-tensioned it and how to judge optimum tension?

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 17 Feb 2010

I got this about 3 years ago and although not massively solidly built it makes life sooo much easier. It's lasted pretty well and I haven't gone blind yet!
I haven't used a pro quality one so can't compare it with anything other than a standard mask, but figured for the price I couldn't go too far wrong.
What does the weldmeister think I wonder?
Image Image Image Image

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Feb 2010

Fuck me, I can see your helmet from here! Never seen an orange one before! Tempting bit of gadgetry. The bloke I bought the set off let me borrow his auto (think it was one of them with a skull on it............Satanism Freak!) but was very impressed

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 17 Feb 2010

Bx Bandit wrote:Fuck me, I can see your helmet from here!
There's a joke in there somewhere... :lol:
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 18 Feb 2010

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can see it from here too!!! ORANGE FFS :roll:

I have never used one Bandit. Initially because they were just too dear, later because they weren't adjustable and Now I can't see with anything greater than a 9's.

So, that seems to nearly tick all the boxes mate......I mean......you can always spray it black....
.... :)
Vanny's set threw a wobbler the other w/end. We had to untangle the wire and re feed it through and it was ok after that.
The problem usually starts when you first set up running the wire through. My set has a brake on the spool, so the wire doesn't run slack on it as you set up.
If you get 2 pairs of hands on the job it helps.
Tension!! [chin] you need to be taut ( :lol: ) how to do that. Once you are feeding the wire up the umbilical, slacken the drive till it slips. Then tighten it again until it stops slipping, then give it 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. jobbed.

Those little flow meters like mine, you know the one with the moving float, are only about a fiver. In relatively still air, 10 litres / min is sufficient. raising it in less calm conditions or, if you need to pull the shroud back from the arc in awkward places.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 19 Feb 2010

Thanks for the tips Phil. I'll reset the tension when I can get the welder out......I have too much crap congesting my garage!

Yes, orange helmet! :oops: At least your missus can find you with the lights out :D :wink: Believe it or not Phil they even have these masks with a skull decal on them - plain ole black 'll do me!

Will have a wee think about the mask, could be a very helpful aid.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 19 Feb 2010

:) No probs Bandito. I have a home made hand screen as well. Just cut the front out of an old head screen, flattened the end of a piece of 3/4 tube and screwed it to it.

Real handy for getting in small spaces :wink: