Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Xantia aux belt setup

Post by Bx Bandit » 26 Mar 2009

Oh, I meant to mention this. For those with a/c on the BX. The bearing cone that secures the intermediate roller bearing (threads on to the alternator securing bolt) is left hand thread!!!!! Which is exactly why I broke my bearing cone :cry: The bits are no longer available as far as I know so beware!!!! Anyway, with the engine I got from Vanny came the Xantia aux belt set up - a much better set-up imo.

So, in using it, I'm presented with a couple of options/hurdles.

1) I have the option of using the later type hp pump (6+2 is it?) So, this means doing away with the fdv???? What's the pipework mods involved? Is it worth the effort in using this mod as opposed to the existing set-up which currently has no problems.
If I use the pump above, it uses a 6pk aux belt, which means I can't use the bx a/c pump (unless I use a 5 pk belt)...so, if 6+2 style pump & 6 pk belt.......
2) Is it worth using a Xantia a/c pump? Are they better/more robust? Up-to-date seals??? There's one on flea bay for 99p!
3) Does anyone have a 6pk alt pulley?!
4) Or will a 5pk belt do?
5) Shall i fuck it and go down the pub instead?
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Xantia aux belt setup

Post by docchevron132 » 26 Mar 2009

Option 5.
Vanny's the man here, he's done it!
That said, I always thought the 6+2 is a better system, the FDV was always a poor engineering solution IMHO.
HP pipe wise it's easy enough.
If you think about it, ignore all the shit between the FDV and PR, there's only 2 pipes that run back from them.
One goes from the FDV to the pinion, t'other goes from the PR to the security valve.
So HP pipe side of it is easy to knock a couple of new pipes and job done. Not sure what you do about the returns though.
Oh, and you'll need an adaptor I think for the pipe to the pinion. Again Vanny knows the score.

No idea what the differences are between BX and Xanty AC pumps.

You could use a 5pk belt, really cant see it being a problem TBH.

I dont have a 6pk alt pulley, but I should probably be able to find one of you want!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

ummm, no don't go looking specially mate but keep your eyes peeled yes please.
The orig bx is a 5pk, but with the a/c comp AND and hyd pump I just wondered if i'd really get away with a 5. TBH I still can't get me head around this seal conversion crap despite Vanny and David telling me till they are pink in the face. The a/c bloke also spoilt things by mentioning a 3rd option from memory. I'm just gonna put big blocks of ice by the fans I rekon!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

I'm still utterly mystified by the whole AC thing too.
Although I have a cunning plan!
I'm going to install the hardware and ask for help from David and Vanny!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

me too! i think vanny has a plan to do some 'experimentation' at work with donor bx's!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Oooh, how many does he need!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

If we give him a 25% success rate then yours, w2gs, mine and his own. 1st 3 fucked but his working!!! :lol:
I think it's the more the merrier but I'm not sure. that daft bastards fucked off to moose land, sent us no pics and will gone for nearly evah!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

I thought he was back in blighty at the mo?
I'm not sure that he went to Canada at all actually, I have photographic proof that he was in the UK for red nose day, but I dont got a scanner to prove it on here!
Tis fucking spooky though.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

he's back is he? Isn't he fucking off to scotland for a wedding and then going back? Oh I don't effin know......he needs to slow down a bit!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Well, I figured he'd be back given the wedding thing?
I mean Canda - Scotland - Canada just for some pointless wedding whereby two people promise to love eachother until something better comes along and they get divorced seems a bit OTT to me..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 26 Mar 2009

canada - scotland - USA as it happens, with a 6 day turn around :( I do seem to be stretching that to 9 days though

Right, AC pulley for a 16v BX should be 6pk anyways, but the Xantia pump would do the trick, i have two Sanden AC pumps for the PSA fitment, one is 5 piston, one is 7 piston. TBH i wouldn't be too worried about putting a 5 pk belt on. Remember the 16v BX has a very different pulley arrangement than the XUD, so i couldn't fit the Xantia pulley arrangement if i wanted (but the idler puller is brilliant, you don't have it on that engine Bandit, i've got it in the garage if you want it!).

Xantia HP pump is deffinatley FTW. However you need a couple of pipes off a donor vehicle, i scrapped the ones i had. First is the pipe that goes from Pump to steering rack. Now, this is a 6mm pipe, and the rack is 3.5mm so you need a coupler! I've had Pleides make me one up to spec, however it cost £40, your welcome to it gratis if you want because its shit! My very original bodge was much better, neater, easier to fit and generally a better solution. What we did was take a 3.5mm union and a 6mm boss (dont know why but nearly all xantia racks have a 6mm boss screwed into them (ie pipe goes into boss, boss goes into rack)) and weld the two together with a MIG. I then stuck the two welded peices into a pillar drill and drilled the right sized hole back in. There you have it, an adapter, did 20k miles in two different cars and the thing was fitted and refitted many times, never with a fault! If you wanted you could do similar but on the pump end?

The second pipe i think will be on the engine, from pump to regulator/accumulator.

Than really is it!

What we did on an old racer is actually mount the PR and FDV into the scuttle, that makes working on the engine a lot easier, and i would suggest there would be no bother in fitting the regulator and accumulator into the driver side wing in front of the LHM tank.

Both of these mods i did with no special tools, no flaring tools etc just used existing pipes (int he case of the racer i think the pipes came partly from a none PAS 17rd B-reg, and 8v GTi, and a 16TRS, quite a lot of scrappers outside the shop to choose from!)
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

We cuold also just make up the HP pump to PR in kunifer?
then it can be whatever shape Bandit needed!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Hmm, this is a/c on the TD BX (as opposed to 16v) and the belts listed on pr-net are 5pk. Pretty sure my a/c pump is too. To keep things simple then, I'll run with the pk set-up and see if it squeals.

On the pulleys I got with your engine Vanny, I have 9 and 6 below

Isn't that ok?

I guess you're right that it would be far easier to make any connections/mods at the pump end. Maybe some of the fdv pipework off the TGD will fit? else possibly as Doc offers...

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 26 Mar 2009

Cool 8) All industrial machines that use fluid power, have all their unit valves and servo's and any attendant electroniky bit's, where you can get at them.

The operating unit's are where they need to be and then it's all piped up.

Makes sense to me :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 Mar 2009

(9) is bent and would need replacing in an ideal world, doesn't seem to track the belt out though. I have (7) knocking about some where with any luck!
ImageImage

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 30 Mar 2009

Bx Bandit wrote: To keep things simple then, I'll run with the pk set-up and see if it squeals.
if it does you can call it Timmy :lol:
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 Mar 2009

docchevron1472 wrote:We cuold also just make up the HP pump to PR in kunifer?
then it can be whatever shape Bandit needed!
I would have thought it best to make all the pipes up in Kunifer TBH, i was just explaining how i had got them and thus how easy the job was.
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Mar 2009

Right you are.
When I get the flaring kits back then I'll knock some up!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Mar 2009

Right, I don't wanna keep nicking everyones bits! I'll have a look at that 'bent' tensioner Vanny, I didn't notice it tbh. The bearings tired mind - I was going to have a go and welding a spare idler roller I have on but I suspect it'll go tits up!
Doc, I'd be grateful for a couple of pipes mate. I guess you'll need the new setup in the car to make 'em up? That'll be either next week, or week after. Weekday or weekend which suits you mucker - most importantly you can meet the pooch :P

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Mar 2009

Weekday morning or weekend anytime works fine mate.
BUT: Vanny has Smiffy's flaring kit, and I dont!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance