Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
jayw
Part of the decor

Brakes...

Post by jayw » 10 Jan 2010

I've been offered a set of C5 V6 Calipers & discs for all 4 corners by a mate who's breaking the motor after offing into a tree in last months snow. I Believe the fronts are 288mm, don't know about the rears?

Are they worth the trouble and will they fit the Valver is the simple question?
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Brakes...

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Jan 2010

Wouldn't bother TBH mate.
Fitting them would be an arse. The rears I *thikn* will fit, but since they aint vented and essentially the same as BX anyway there's no gain.

The pistons wind in anti-clockwise on the C5, for reasons best known to Citroen..

If you want bigger brakes the Xantia caliper is the easiest way to go..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 10 Jan 2010

Not the Activa V6 mind, they are the biggest but getting pads is fucking impossible. Regular V6 fronts are pretty much bolt on and you can get fancy EBC pads and discs.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Found a local Xantia V6 for £150 with buggered engine... if i bought it is there anything else worth taking off it?
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Jan 2010

That V6 is usually fairly unbreakable. What's bust???
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

jayw
Part of the decor

Seized solid from lack of oil. Been standing a year with bust window so rotten inside too.
Almost BX-less

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Jan 2010

:o Ah! wrecked a purpus then!!! :(
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 10 Jan 2010

well if you weren't in Basingstoke i'd be suggesting having the full activa system in it, and consider either A) Whapping components on the bay or B) sticking the whole lot under a BX.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Not being a Xantia man (other than owning an orange oil-burner ex-cab with 435,000k on the clock), someone give me "Activa" in a nutshell???
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 11 Jan 2010

loads of electronics, lots of expensive components, lots of pipes. Basically a computer figures out if the car body is about to start rolling and firms up the suspension to counter the roll. Its a bit trickier than that, bu basically you can take a round about at 70 with no body role. From experience, you go round the roundabout happily at 70 but some stupid bitch in a 406 thinks your go slow, no roll see, being the shit driver she is doesn't brake and realises too late what is going on. Furtunately your driver, being used to this activity, has already nailed it, your now doing 90 round the roundabout and safely shoot past the front of the 406 and off at the chosen exit. Replace trousers at the fuel station, and give it about 20 minutes for your heart rate to recover.
ImageImage

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 11 Jan 2010

So, how much of this kit would go on the BX? Bearing in mind the person who's doing it has to replace all their suspension components anyway so how much extra work we talking about?

Anyone know if it's been done before?

Oh, and some of us do roundabouts at 70 all the time... :mrgreen:
Almost BX-less

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 11 Jan 2010

jayw wrote:
There's plenty to practice on in Basingstoke! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

jayw
Part of the decor

Way2go wrote:
jayw wrote:
There's plenty to practice on in Basingstoke! :wink:
Indeed there is! Bit like being out at 3am this morning drifting round them in the good 'ole front-wheel-drive sleigh :)

You local to these lands then?
Almost BX-less

jayw
Part of the decor

Been delving into the intelligence pool otherwise know as the internet and this is all news to me:

It seems the only major difference between the regular hydractive Xantia and the Activa is the active rollbars and the hydractive 2 has the anti-sink sphere, although the hydractive 2 dulled-down the the systems abilities (probably to make it more reliable & cheaper).

So, are all Xantias hydractive?

And can the whole sytem be grafted onto the bx? (i.e. is it just a case of swapping all the mechanical & electronic components) or is there too much work involved? I still have to change all me suspension and brakes for the new ones i have sat in the boxes still so i'm thinking there's not much more work involved?

Seems like a good track system...
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 11 Jan 2010

ho ho ho aren't you funny, you and your 'I've been Googling and everyfink is simple'. Damn fool. For a start each corner of an activa has an extra ram, not too dissimilar to the suspension strut its self. Then there are 12 or 16 spheres, i forget, i could calculate it but life is too short. Then practically every suspension component is subtley different, you'd need new wishbones at the front for a start. Then there is the wiring. It could be done, but it would be expensive!

Not all Xantias have hydractive, my understanding is that its not too dissimilar an effect to ABS but for the suspension and gives you a generally stiffer feeling to the car. This is a little more feasible to fit to a BX as typically its mostly extra spheres and valves rather than suspension components. I think its nearly all mechanical, the only electical bit being to control the extra valves which themselves act like height correctors.

Don't forget about anti sink either! There is a REALLY good Xantia website created by the guy who writes the Citronian column on Xantias (at least i think its the same guy.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Jan 2010

Personally, I found hydractive to be a major PITA, as in it kept getting itself locked into hard mode which utterly rediculous. Then the hyd valve is made of cardboard and falls apart within seconds. Sounds like a lot of work mate. If you do get this V6, consider joining French Car Forum and seeing if the Xantia nuts want some bits of it.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 11 Jan 2010

jayw wrote:Seized solid from lack of oil. Been standing a year with bust window so rotten inside too.
That to me doesn't sound like £150. £50 weigh-in value more like it.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 12 Jan 2010

Erm, where did Jay mention it was an Activa?
Since it's a V6 and I'm assuming RHD then it's VERY VERY unlikely to have Activa on it...

Hydractive was common to all Xantia except very early and later base models.

Activa is possible to fit on a BX, I've looked into it before, and I'm fairly certain one of the foreign nutters that has a BX has done so, dont think there's one over here though...

Activa parts are becoming very hard to find, and fucking painfully expansive, but it was / is a fucking unbelievably great system, the only ,major drawback being that there is no tyre on earth that can match the performance of it...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 12 Jan 2010

docchevron132 wrote:Erm, where did Jay mention it was an Activa?
Since it's a V6 and I'm assuming RHD then it's VERY VERY unlikely to have Activa on it...
I didn't.

AFAIK all the Activa's were the 2 litre LPT versions?

My point was that NOT being an activa makes it a slightly more simple proposition for a BX hydractive hybrid possibility.

But, as quickly as the idea came along it's gone now. I'd have considered it if it wasn't too much more than swapping components (which i have to do anyway) and a bit of piping & wiring, but evidently not.

Still gonna go have a look at the motor for the brakes etc...
Almost BX-less

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 12 Jan 2010

I think fitting hydractive would be relatively simple Jay, it IS mostly pipes and components. Its Activa that is the ball ache.

I'd be up for going down the hydractive route with Jazz.
ImageImage