BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
charlie
Part of the decor

Re: fogs to be

Post by charlie » 19 Nov 2010

Philhod wrote:Now mine always has been quiet Chas, but the clear plastic sheet on mine has foam on the inside of it. I ripped a couple during extraneous repairs at some time, so I will stick some of this stuff over the top of it, as I have to remove for waxoyl anyway. [bow]
no shit phil

u will be astonished at the difference

:shock:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 19 Nov 2010

charlie wrote:
docchevron132 wrote:I assume this stuff has an adhesive backing?
no mate

a tinny of spray adhesive was needed

u cut a length of the stuff off

then stick the top straight edge, bit down

then just follow the outline/mark of the old liner

sticking and cutting the rest as u go along

it was easy even for me :wink:

but when me and the bandit rode in the car

[drool] [drool] [drool] 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) [drool] [drool] [drool]
ahh right, what spray adhesive did you use?
Might give that a go!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 20 Nov 2010

A carpet based self adhesive spray. £3.99 from B&Q. Any over spray comes off with white spirit.

I honestly couldn't believe how quiet Charlies car was. I know it's petrol and thus quieter than the tizzy, but fuck me, the difference was just amazing, truly sublime.

Not done it on mine yet, but I'm sooooooooooooo encouraged by my experience in the cream machine.

Makes me thing what others options are available. The Roof for example................
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Nov 2010

roof would be a bit issuous though surely? I mean, the glass is awfully close to it down the middle..
under the carpets, bulkhead, rear inner wings can drum and accentuate tyre noise too, so maybe boot floor and inner wings aswell?
Dunno really, but I'm tempted to have a go!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 21 Nov 2010

:) Yeah. Wot ee said really. The boot area generally but I have tarry things on the floor and the bulkhead mat on mine is real thick. Made fitting a new clutch cable a bit of a bastard though.
one place is the inner bulkhead under the windscreen, which doesn't have anything on it. :o

Wouldn't bother with the roof though, unless I was putting a new lining in.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 21 Nov 2010

Never really thought the GTi noisy. I believe this has extra sound insulation anyway over the other models, even the boot cubby holes are carpeted.
I suppose extra insulation between the doors and door cards may give further benefit though?

Is this stuff non-hygroscopic? [chin]
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:) does that mean your eyes water when you look at it?

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 21 Nov 2010

I'd try some 'flash band' on the floor pan.

What you really need is butile sheeting, amazing stuff, amazingly priced.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Nov 2010

I assumed the glass would sit about 1cm off the roof TBH. PITA to do mind, but it's the biggest wobbliest panel on the car.

The 16v and probably the GTi as you suggest has extra sound deadening stuff - the thickish tarry patches that Phil mentions. There is some on the door skins to stop drumming. But the stuff Charlie has put on stops (quite a lot!) the road noise. I doubt it's hygroscopic.

edit: The carpet underlay is massively more dense on the XM and the Xantia, so a layer of the same stuff as used by Charlie under the underlay may well have further noticeable improvements.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Vanny
Site Admin

Thoughts for the day.

Vehicle sound deadeneing comes in two forms, stopping the vibrations forming, and reducing the vibration wave energy of different frequencies.

The tarry stuff stops the vibrations forming, but not completely, allowing through a lot of high frequency and some low frequency.
The recycled cotton media under the carpets absorbs the energy of mid to high frequency. And it sounds like laminate underlay is filtering quite a bit of the high frequency in the doors, but i suspect it will have less impact under the floor. You might want to try different mediums, the compressed fibre underlay might provide interesting.

Hmmm, if and when i ever get the valver going i might have to borrow a bi-neural head and measure what frequencies exist, that would help to illiminate them completely.

Panel gaps have a huge impact too, expecially the wings, its worth the effort to get them right!
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Yes to all that Vanny. It is good stuff this underlay. It also is very good thermal insulation.
There is another, more expensive version, that would do very nicely for floor areas.
It's green in colour and of a fibery construction and comes in 500mm sq pieces about 8mm thick, cutting easily with a stanley. You could easily cover all the boot area and still use the existing carpet. :)

Vanny
Site Admin

Philhod wrote:It's green in colour and of a fibery construction and comes in 500mm sq pieces about 8mm thick
yeah thats what i mean here;
Vanny wrote:You might want to try different mediums, the compressed fibre underlay
I have a whole pack in the loft minus one half sheet. I don't like the thin foam stuff as it doesn't sound deaden as well, and it doesn't contour to the laminate when it starts to warp ,and all laminate floors warp eventually.
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 21 Nov 2010

I've put the green fibre board in the boot. TBH it hasn't made any noticeable difference, but I normally have the parcel shelf in anyway, so I didn't expect a lot.

The fibre board is probably a bit too thick to do the cabin floor I rekon. I agree the foam underlay will be filtering out the higher frequencies, that concurrs with the 'whishing' type noises from the tyres smacking the tarmac being very much reduced. In this respect, in Charlies car, the noise now 'seems' to be transferred to the windows, I guess just because none is coming from the lower part of the door, so the noise coming through the windows is more apparent.

I'm still astounded by the reduction of noise in Charlies car. I was virtually speechless on the drive - just from disbelief.

Although the BX (like every car) has it's limitations, there's plenty of room for improvement. As a daily hack, I really can't think of another car I'd rather be in, noise being the biggest -ve factor

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 21 Nov 2010

I usually have the stereo on loud enough to drown out a nuke going off in the passenger seat, but in those quieter moments it would be nice to reduce tyre noise, I do find using Uniroyals cuts a lot of the road noise down over any other tyre I've ever used, but, even then...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If all else fails, turn up the volume 8)

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » 23 Nov 2010

Talking about noises, I had to drive through a VOSA inspection trap the other day, and my tzd still sounds like an epileptic playing the spoons. As I drove past the VOSA chap kind of spun on his heel when he realised where the noise was coming from. Once you're past though they can't do anything. :wink:

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 11 Dec 2010

right.....

to put this thread to bed

just before fitting

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 11 Dec 2010

fitted

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 11 Dec 2010

Arr.
They be nice they be.
Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Dec 2010

:D Excellent job Chas. Looks very smart. the glass looks more orange than yellow after you have fitted them. Must be the white background. 8)

Send my love to Bandit.

Any trips to Poland this winter?