BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

High emissions

Post by mat_the_cat » 30 Jul 2011

Quick question about a 1.1 Peugeot 106 from the late 90s - we can buy it for scrap value as it's failed the MOT on a number of things, one of them being "Excessively high hydrocarbons after 2nd fast idle". According to the (non technical) lady who's getting rid of it this was because it needed a new exhaust back box(!) Now I can see why an exhaust leak upstream of the lambda sensor could cause that to see excess oxygen, and hence richen up the mixture but not the back box. Any ideas guys?

The garage is selling her a replacement car, so they're not profiting from carrying out the work...possibly they've been a bit harsh on the car to get a sale... We know the seller and she's sound, just don't want to get into a situation where we have to spend a lot on it, and diagnosing problems with ECU controlled systems isn't my strong point! Plan would be to give Lana a cheap run around until she finds a job, and this should get 50mpg for hopefully little outlay
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: High emissions

Post by Philhod » 30 Jul 2011

Is it carb or inj?All older Pugs suffered from the same problem. A crap crancase breathing system that needs to be cleaned out at least yearly, to stop it poisoning everyone
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

:x What's up with this forum!!!!

A few of us noticed you had to submit twice after getting a message saying fuck off and try again.
Well 3 times now, after I hit submit, my post vanishes and I get a message saying you don't have any words to post.
The only solution I have found, is to click back, copy my post, click submit again, (getting the same empty box with message)
Paste the post into the box, click submit and it posts no problem..........................................
........................... [chin] [chin] Most odd!!!!!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 30 Jul 2011

Dunno mate, is fine this end! Pug is injection, if it was a carb I wouldn't be worried!
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Same problem but where the EGR feeds into the inlet system.
Check the air filter too. I had a Pug with high readings only 4 years old. she had her BF service it each time.
The Twonk had been changing the pollen filtre, the fuckin air filtre was original :roll: :roll: :lol:

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Jul 2011

2 things to check first.. the weld arund the thread for the lambda sensor, they always fail.. and any sort of blow around the exhaust manifold to head..
Does this thing have the cat in the front pipe? Or the much earlier cat behind the front pipe.. A leaking exhaust post lambda sensor can fuck the emissions up royally, largely down to how it pulls the slugs through the system, but it's usually the weld around the lambda sensor that fails first.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Aug 2011

Well, I still haven't been to look at it to confirm anything, but what you say might explain things. From memory it's an S reg so am guessing that's the later cat position. The price has now dropped to zero (and they will drop it off too!) so it would appear to be a win win....even if we went with the garage quote of £300 to put an MOT on it (which we won't), a few hundred quid for an MOT'd car can't be bad.

We're still after something uber economical (that is affordable - tough ask!) but figured that even something reasonably economical is better in the short term. Never done anything other than servicing on a 106, but from memory there are (unsurprisingly) similar to a 205. I seem to remember a brake bar going across from the pedal box to a LHD positioned master cylinder, am I getting muddled?
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Aug 2011

thats the one mate.. They are very simple though, VERY simple, so for nowt, it's surely a no brainer? Even if it's a total shitter, weigh in will make you a net gain.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Aug 2011

It wouldn't feel morally right though, just to weigh it straight in - the reason she's giving it to us to put back on the road is because she doesn't want to see it scrapped. Failure points were a chafed brake hose, rusty brake pipes, worn front brake pads (I'm assuming down to the metal as AFAIK they don't check pad wear), emissions, OS & NS front suspension excessive play in a pin or bush, and passenger door does not open. The last point I will check, as I didn't know it was an MOT failure...

Having a look at it tonight, so will see what else it needs.
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Aug 2011

they do check pad wear!
and if there is a passenger seat fitted, it MUST open, if there is no seat fitted, it doesn't have to open..
either way, for not much outlay, could be a good little car.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Aug 2011

All those are fairly cheaply fixed Mat, although how you put economical and petrol in the same sentance I'm not sure [chin] :P

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 05 Aug 2011

:lol: Yeah, I'll have to convert it to run on a proper fuel, like gas... :P Seriously though, 45-50mpg at £1.40/litre (5p cheaper than diesel) is better than 15mpg at 80p/litre.

Went to have a look at it last night, paintwork looks like someone has thrown paint stripper all over it but that's no worry.

More concerning are the 'alloys' fitted to it! Aside from that the engine is sweet, gearbox feels fine, there's evidence of regular servicing and for the price, can't grumble! I asked whether the change in the ashtray was included, but I doubt it.

The only exhaust leak was the back box, but the puzzling thing was the hole was a manufactured hole, an elongated round hole about 6 x 8mm, been there for a while but not a rust hole. Like a drain hole but bigger :? Tried to feel around the lambda sensor but by the time I remembered it was almost red hot, didn't feel/hear a leak though.

Think I'll take it to a garage I trust for another MOT, seeing as though I'll have to pay for a retest anyway. They may fail it on less!
Image Image Image Image

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 05 Aug 2011

mat_the_cat wrote: Think I'll take it to a garage I trust for another MOT, seeing as though I'll have to pay for a retest anyway. They may fail it on less!
[chin] You don't think in these days of computerisation that they check the items on system for previous fail & advisory records? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 05 Aug 2011

Probably, although I would expect them to test it all from scratch. The main benefit to taking it to a garage I know, is that I can have a chat with them about the problem(s). I don't really expect the outcome to be any different, although in the past I suspect they have erred on the side of advisories knowing that I'll sort things pretty sharpish. Plus I can check it all over properly whilst it's up on their ramps!
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 06 Aug 2011

they can check previous MoT passes and fails, but unless prompted, they never do. And as Mat said, each time a car is presented for test, it starts from there.
We took an Iveco mini bus for test at 3 different class 5 testers a few years back, eachtime it failed on totally different things!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 16 Aug 2011

Well, it was dropped off last week, in exchange for some firewood. First impressions looking positive - one family owner from new, FSH, always (according to the receipts) run on fully synthetic oil, can't see any evidence of problems with the brake pipes or hoses so will fix the obvious faults and then take it for a test. Oh, and in cleaning it out I found £3.57 in loose change! :D
Image Image Image Image

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Aug 2011

fucking bonus!
a mate of a mate is breaking a 106. I know nothing about it more than that right now, dont even know if it's petrol, but I'll ask, it may yield some useful bits maybe..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 18 Aug 2011

That might be very handy thanks, all I know it needs is the passenger door mirror and the driver's door check strap (although the latter may well be fixable - you can't open the door past half way at the moment!)
The suspension play is the front wishbone rear bush - fiver each and looks simple to change.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 18 Aug 2011

:x Fucking Picasso failed it's MOT yesterday, on emmissions.

I phoned Kev to see if it was ready to pick up and he says, It's failed mate, smoking too much.
Don't worry about it, I'll stick some injector cleaner in and give it a blast down the lane and back and re do it.
So you can pick it up after 2pm. 8) He's not bad is he!

It did pass 2nd time + I got an advisary telling me I had a nail in my offside rear tyre.
Took tyre in to Bob this pm, will pick it up tomorrow.
Only realised whilst changing the wheel, that's the first time I have used the jack. I've had it 5 1/2 years and the previous owner never used it either as it was brand new. :)

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 18 Aug 2011

Ooh, and the passenger door catch. Managed to get the door open now but it won't hold shut.

Phil, what sort of emissions bollocks has your Picasso got? I'm reading quite a lot that modern diesels can be very problematical.
Image Image Image Image