BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Is it worth it?

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 29 Sep 2011

My little 1400 is due an MOT right about now. Now, it will need a new front and mid exhaust, also the LHM return is made up of fish tank tubing currently.

Im in an i cant be bothered but im really quite fond of the little car quandry now.

Sod it, anyone got any enthusiasm spare?
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by mat_the_cat » 29 Sep 2011

Chances are (unless you get something significantly newer) anything you buy will need something doing to it. If an exhaust is all it needs then I'd go for it - so long as the returns don't leak they should still pass.

Anyway, is your Cortina MOT'd yet?
Image Image Image Image

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 29 Sep 2011

You are quite right obviously Mat, better the devil you know and all that.

Is the cortina MOT'd yet, answer, no.
I had a little issue with the 2.3 so changed it for a2.8, that leaked, so i changed the headgaskets on that and ive just bled the coolant, thats where im at so far :)
OK, so i've got some stuff, some of it goes, some of it doesnt, some of it never will again!

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Sep 2011

what Mat said. I could set fire to mine most days now, but, if I buy another car, unless I change it every year or 2, the ituation remains the same, anything mechanical does and will fail, so, the joys of car ownership is, fix it, or buy something else that will, sooner or later need fixing, or replacing..
Since I still like the BX, I persist, since I'd rather work on that than a Mundano..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 29 Sep 2011

It's strange I guess, prior to getting the first BX I liked getting a new car with the improvements that they offered but the new ones didn't beckon as much since going BX and anyway i now can't afford new cars.

Apart from safety features like airbags, there's not much on a new car that makes driving better than in a BX a some I know will claim the reverse.

I hopefully will be able to keep mine for a long time yet! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 29 Sep 2011

Way2go wrote:some I know will claim the reverse
Yeah, but they're all fuckwits.
Almost BX-less

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Sep 2011

Personally I dont see airbags as a good thing..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 30 Sep 2011

docchevron132 wrote:Personally I dont see airbags as a good thing..
Ohhhh, I dunno .... They save lives
Image Image Image

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 30 Sep 2011

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Doc has just gone looking for a retrofit kit! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 01 Oct 2011

:lol: :lol: Those will be front and rear bags then?

Bags sitting in the back 8)
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Stinkwheel(Matt)
Established

Post by Stinkwheel(Matt) » 15 Oct 2011

To keep you guys posted, well I changed the pads, welded up the exhaust, didnt need a new one, which is nice, repaired the two slightly leaky strut returns and couple of stupid other jobs, lets see how she fares on the MOT next week now.

Dont tell anyone, but im actually really fond of this stupid 1400 BX. Doesnt change me wanting to set alight to it when it faffs me around though :shock:

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 15 Oct 2011

:) Don't we all!!

K39 will go for MOT this week too. Guy came and fitted me a new windscreen Friday afternoon
£100 inc vat. Well pleased. it really does look new now.
Didn't bother with insurance as it would have been 75 quid anyway. Tried that short term insurance but they only quote for cars 10 years old or less, so fuck em! I'll just knock £100 off the price in leiu of tax. 8)

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 15 Oct 2011

not being funny Phil but how are you going to get to the mot centre with no insurance?, I know you can drive an untaxed car to a pre booked mot but thought the car had to be insured
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 16 Oct 2011

Well I'm just going to say fuck it and take it without, it's exactly 1/2 a mile from Deks to the Keiths MOT station, all back streets anyway. :x
Just a thought though.................!
Seeing as it's technically Deks car, as I gave it to him and he's the registered keeper.
Will I be covered under my insurance at least 3rd party....Driving another vehicle that does not belong to him and is not hired under any hire or hire purchase agreement.
At least that's what it says on my schedule [chin] [chin] [chin]

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 16 Oct 2011

If it is Dek's car then you can drive it on your insurance. However if the worst came to worst and your non-ownership needed to be proved I think you may be on a sticky wicket as it is a non-insured car by the "keeper", "previously" owned by you so likely to be viewed as a scam by officialdom.

Back streets don't guard against ANPR which most traffic cars are fitted with if you should encounter one on your journey, however short it may be. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 16 Oct 2011

Way2go wrote:If it is Dek's car then you can drive it on your insurance.
No you can't. Seriously, dont you people ever watch Police Interceptors.

It will clearly (and i mean VERY CLEARLY) state in Phils policy that if he's allowed to drive another vehicle third party, that the third party vehicle MUST have insurance of its own. Pretty sure these days that has to be in the name of the registered keeper unless it is a group policy such as a company o trade policy.

The only exception to this is that normally if you have a trade policy yourself then it will normally include third party on ALL non commercial vehicles regardless of there state of insurance.

Basically, if the CAR isn't insured directly (and thus listed on the National Insurance Database) then you can't have it on the road.

But quite frankly, I've taken several cars to MOT without insurance and never been stopped, and the MOT centre is like you say, less than a half mile, all on back roads.
ImageImage

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 16 Oct 2011

:) Well yeah, I was only mooting the question and yes That's what I'll be doing Vanny.
It's back streets till you come out onto the main road , 300 yards from his garage in a one way street.

There wouldn't be any debateable issues there W2G, as He's been the registered keeper with reg doc altered etc., for over 4 years.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 17 Oct 2011

I've done all sorts of things like this before, driving my CX22 all the way from Burscough to Stroud with no tax insurance or mot.... but that was years ago, and they didn't have ANPR back then! I wouldn't dare do such a thing now, as it only takes one ANPR equipped police car, and you are FUCKED! Do you feel lucky?
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 17 Oct 2011

Meh, driven from Preston to Chorley without tax, MOT or insurance picking up a car, even parked next to a panda car in the petrol station.
Driven from Swindon to Preston in an untaxed BX, but youknow, you takes your chances.
Image Image Image

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 17 Oct 2011

Father Ted wrote:Meh, driven from Preston to Chorley without tax, MOT or insurance picking up a car, even parked next to a panda car in the petrol station.
Driven from Swindon to Preston in an untaxed BX, but youknow, you takes your chances.
But I bet this was in days of old (when did we last see a panda car? :) ) before the advent of ANPR as Smiffy and I mentioned. Technology is now deployed in a big way and you might has well have a big arrow above your car. The further downside of technology is it doesn't have the discretion of the old time copper either. :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto